No Duncantown this winter

Feb 28, 2013
Pacific Seacraft 40 Belfast
Received from "Bahamas Chatter":

Ragged Island was devastated by Hurricane Irma. Apparently, the seven people who were not evacuated from the island survived, but the town itself has been deemed “uninhabitable” by government authorities. Most of the buildings are leveled, except for the Silvertail Lodge and a few others, and no government structures were left standing. The oil depot at Gun Point was also wiped out. The folks that survived the hurricane have also left the island. This is sad news for the many cruising boats that visit the Ragged Islands during the winter season. There will be none of the already limited facilities available. Boats cruising to the Ragged Islands are truly on their own.

Feb 28, 2013
I hope there will be plenty of Maine winters ahead, Dave. At 72 there won't be that many more years when I can enjoy winter sand dunes instead of snow banks. I'll keep making that seasonal commute while I still can. Maybe I can help someone on Ragged Island or Buenavista rebuild while we're there.

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
Last edited:
Feb 28, 2013
You're right about Edward. He gave us a tour of his property a couple of years ago, telling stories about his life - some of which are probably true.

Feb 28, 2013
The plans for Ragged Island sound great. I hope it really happens. We're looking forward to seeing how it goes. Thanks for the links.

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 47 NC
I have read your island posts for several years. Always interesting. Go as long as you can. When are you heading out?

Feb 28, 2013
We generally leave Belfast the first week of October and probably will again this year, hurricanes permitting. Where in NC are you?

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Hey Chris, are you going to give a report again on your travels? It will help us snow bound northerners during the cold winter months to live vicariously through your updates. :)