NMEA

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
Basic, basic question.
Do I have to run an individual drop cable to every single device on the network?
Can I not run a single drop cable to rear of boat where the dome for anemometer is to be located (which came with its own drop cable and tee), and then run a drop cable from that tee to the pilot?
Most diagrams show the plotter as part of the network but buddy say plotter draws too much current and needs its own power source. Yes/no?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The drop cables and backbone cables are physically the same. Their position in the network is what changes the name from backbone to drop.

If the only device you have is an anemometer and the cable is long enough it could be run directly to the chart plotter. The anemometer drop cable is a special case. Since the typical position for an anemometer is at the top of the mast, it often includes a terminator so the cable becomes an extension of the backbone. Check with your chart plotter to see if it provides any power to the network, if not you will need to add a power drop to supply power to the devices on the network.

On the Marathon.com website there is a really good guide to N2K networking. It should answer all your questions and then some.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
As Dave said, a “drop cable” can be a long one, and connect to one device. In my case, my backbone is in my pedestal , but my VHF radio at the nav station is connected to the backbone with a long NMEA2000 cable between the radio and the backbone.

Greg

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
, my backbone is in my pedestal , but my VHF radio at the nav station is connected to the backbone with a long NMEA2000 cable between the radio and the backbone.
Ok, for arguments sake let's say you have a 2nd radio at the nav stn. you want to network. So, another cable all the way from the pedestal, or a tee at the end of drop cable at nav stn. with a branch going to each radio. Would that work?

your chart plotter to see if it provides any power to the network,
Plotter (Zeus 3) has own power cable assume it would power the DST810 transducer which is NMEA.

Marathon.com link gives me an oil company and running races?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Your B&G plotter requires its own power cable and power is connected directly into the back of the CP (not into the network backbone). Since you don't mention anything about Triton or RM displays, should we assume that you don't have any displays on the network but just the DST810 and a wind transducer? They require power from the network. Normally, instrument displays, transducers and separate GPS antennae, and other ancillary components require a power source connected into the network backbone.

I don't think the 2 transducers will get power from the chart plotter, but I don't know about that for sure. Also, I am also going to assume that a VHF radio, while it can be linked to the network backbone, must also get its power directly from an independent source. If you have a wheel pilot, that also needs its own independent power source

You're too cryptic. Why don't you define all the components that you want to include in your network. That would make it so much easier to help with your networking questions. The networking diagrams are very easy to understand ... why not just follow instructions?

• Helpful
Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
I don't think my plotter (Zeus 3) will power all four items on the network. I understand I need an NMEA power cable with tee for the downstream items. I'm wondering if it will power the chart plotter too so I can do away with the plotters power cable. Probably not.
Since a lot of folks only run a depth/speed transducer (you know, cruiser types) I suspect that one piece alone might work off the chart plotters power.
I will run an out of water experiment on that by hooking it up and spinning the paddle wheel with my digits.
Two other pieces will plug into system. Dome receiving signal from masthead, and TP32 pilot.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Ok, for arguments sake let's say you have a 2nd radio at the nav stn. you want to network. So, another cable all the way from the pedestal, or a tee at the end of drop cable at nav stn. with a branch going to each radio. Would that work?
If I follow you, yes, you could have a small backbone at the nav station and another backbone at the helm, and connect those with a long cable.

There are some rules to follow (LEN), but it can be done. I pulled this from Garmin.com….you can see the long cable connecting 2 “backbones”. Sometimes called a “trunk line”.

IMG_3056.jpeg

Greg

Oct 26, 2008
I don't think my plotter (Zeus 3) will power all four items on the network. I understand I need an NMEA power cable with tee for the downstream items. I'm wondering if it will power the chart plotter too so I can do away with the plotters power cable. Probably not.
Since a lot of folks only run a depth/speed transducer (you know, cruiser types) I suspect that one piece alone might work off the chart plotters power.
I will run an out of water experiment on that by hooking it up and spinning the paddle wheel with my digits.
Two other pieces will plug into system. Dome receiving signal from masthead, and TP32 pilot.
Absolutely no way to run Zeus on network power. I'll strongly suggest that it is one-way only, too. Power into Zeus is not going to run the transducers. I've never heard of anybody trying it, anyway. I'm pretty sure I burned out a DST 810 by running it dry (I had it connected and possibly it was energized while I was messing about). It was suggested to me later that it needs to be in water to keep it cool and it could burn out if left on long enough when dry (I'm not sure if I did or did not). They don't mention that in the instructions. But you probably won't get power to it anyway.

I think you should get at least one all-purpose display, such as the B&G Triton or RM i70 to mate with the transducers, but that's just a suggestion. I see no reason why you can't just branch off your power supply to the chartplotter to connect the power cable to the network. That seems simple enough. Just put the appropriate fuses on both leads. I run separate circuits between the display instruments and the chartplotter so I have (at least) 2 separate power leads coming aft from the D.C. panel (actually, the wheel pilot is on a 3rd circuit), but that's just my preference.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When looking at NMEA 2000 network structure, I fall back to this diagram.

Power Up the Network
Remember that an NMEA 2000 network requires 12-volt DC power. Special connectors with positive and ground wires (with inline fuses for the positive wire) let you supply onboard power to the so-called backbone – the main communication channel for the system. These power cables should be connected near the center of the backbone in order for the system to function properly.

1711669579817.png

Oct 26, 2008
When looking at NMEA 2000 network structure, I fall back to this diagram.

Power Up the Network
Remember that an NMEA 2000 network requires 12-volt DC power. Special connectors with positive and ground wires (with inline fuses for the positive wire) let you supply onboard power to the so-called backbone – the main communication channel for the system. These power cables should be connected near the center of the backbone in order for the system to function properly.

View attachment 223841
This diagram doesn't show the power connection to the chartplotter. A Zeus chartplotter won't be energized without it's own separate power lead. It does show the requirement for power to the backbone.

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
I burned out a DST 810 by running it dry
Whoa! Was only going to connect long enough to give it a spin, but, it turns out there's no way the transducer will plug into a NMEA receptacle, it needs an adapter! Go figure.

Anyways thanks all. Between you guys and a poster over at cruisers forum a light blub went on and I realized backbone cables carry multiple signals but drop cables not so much.
So, from left to right, two way tee w/drops to transducer and plotter mounted to one side of power tee, on the other side of power tee the 2 meter backbone terminates with another two way tee w/drop cables going to anemometer dome/pilot.
If that's too lopsided I can insert a 0.5 meter backbone between power tee and two way tee 4 trans/plotter.

Ancor NMEA 2000 Two Way Tee Connector 270103
Ancor NMEA 2000 Power Cable with Tee - 1 Meter 270000
2 Meters (6.5 ft)
Ancor NMEA 2000 Two Way Tee Connector 270103

Good?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Whoa! Was only going to connect long enough to give it a spin, but, it turns out there's no way the transducer will plug into a NMEA receptacle, it needs an adapter! Go figure.
What transducer are you using?

Oct 26, 2008
You said DST810, right? I think what you are showing are Raymarine Stng connections. Your DST810 probably has a standard NMEA 2000 connector. Yes, you will need an adaptor.

Well, maybe I'm not seeing correctly. If you have standard NMEA 2000 connectors, there is no need for adaptor.

Jan 11, 2014
Can use blanking caps at the ends or do I need the Terminators?
You need the terminators. Inside the terminator are some electronics which complete the network. Left open, the signal won't turn around and go back to the network. Blank drop line connections don't need terminators, caps are a good idea to protect the contacts and exclude moisture and salt.