NMEA 2000 Installation

Nov 10, 2012
Catalina 36 mkII Havre de Grace, Maryland
Where do you have your NMEA 2000 bus (backbone) mounted?

I recently purchased a NMEA 2000 Starter kit to connect my GPS/Chartplotter, Wind Transducer, VHF Radio, and future instruments together (speed/depth/fuel).

I feel like I should display this wonderful work of technology, and I am not sure where to mount the backbone and associated T connectors.

Anyone have any recommendations on where to mount on a 1980 Hunter 30?

Nov 10, 2012
Catalina 36 mkII Havre de Grace, Maryland
Wow, 90 views and no comments. Are people not using the NMEA 2000?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Wow, 90 views and no comments. Are people not using the NMEA 2000?

You mount it in a dry central location for all sensors and devices. I try to keep them away from engines and other wiring but that is not always easy. Don't forget your terminators etc... Do mount it and don't just let it dangle...

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
In the boat? (Sorry, I couldn't resist) As MaineSail said, mount it dry and secure, and instead of displaying it as a trophy, hide it away and concentrate on the displays. They are much, much more interesting to look at.

Oct 11, 2010
Hunter 37 Cutter Perth Amboy
I agree. Just find a secure dry race and run it through. Mine runs from the sensor at the top of the mast down to the bilge. I attach a sensor from the traducer (water speed temp and depth) running through the engine compartment and sensors from the chart plotter and GPS.
Just make sure you have terminators in place.
I'll post some pictures when I get to the boat.
Jim