NMEA 2000 install

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
Hello folks,

I'm crawling into the 21st century and installing NMEA 2k on our MkI cat 30. Looks like a fairly user friendly process but got to me thinking "where should I install the backbone?" So, if you have NMEA 2k on your cat 30 where is yours? My initial thought was under the aft quarter berth by the fuel tank.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Don't put it anywhere that is difficult to access... I've moved mine twice as the system evolves...now it is split. I have a port and starboard cluster of T's connected by a cable. i.e. on port side I have dc panel connection, vhf, depth sensor, terminator.... a 6 ft cable to starboard side cluster with chartplotter/dislay, tiller pilot and wind sensor. I plan to add a N2k audio module and speedo in near future so flexibility is important. For now it's still visible on the bulkhead, I'm using cable ties to keep it tidy, until I feel comfortable with layout... then perhaps it goes somewhere less visible and less accessible.

Remember the "backbone" doesn't have to be one set of connected T's. It can be a system of cable connected clusters distributed around the boat....

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
While the layout on the 270 is physically different, the process is the same. There is a hub at the aft end where the compass, gps sensor, and AP controller is, as well as inputs from the NoLand engine monitor, and one leg that goes up the binnacle, where there is another hub, for the chartplotter (which requires it), the data displays and the AP control head.
The network cable goes over to the electrical panel where it splits to allow power, and the Actisense converter box for the feed from the radio, power input and a spare connection.
From there the network backbone cable goes forward again to the front berth where there is a feed from the wind, and depth/speed.
Like Joe says, make it accessible, but plan on adding. The little Actisense converter was an "after the fact" part necessary for the DSC, and required a port that wasn't available, right there, in the initial installation. It necessitated a bunch of cables and connectors and through retasking of the infrastructure, saved some cables, but required re-running it all again to make it fit.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
Thanks! Great info. I sort of understood that the "backbone" could be extended as needed. Trinity is currently electronics "naked", well, maybe she's wearing a small bathing suit. We only have a Garmin 740s (which, we think, is a good start). The depth transducer is run directly to the 740 and that's it. Project for this spring, while the mast is down, is to install a gWind hence the need/desire to add the NMEA. I'm sure once it's installed we'll be looking at other goodies to add.