NMEA 2000 help!!

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
Hoping some of you might have some experience with a unique issue I'm having. I am trying to convert my Cat 30 to a NMEA 2k system. The boat currently has a nice Airmar P79 "in hull" depth transducer installed however it is a Garmin 6 pin, not 2k. I've been googling but can't seem to find if there is a way to adapt the 6 pin to NMEA.

Last resort is replacing the Airmar with a P79 that is NMEA 2k. If I do that would anyone know if that is a drop in affair? I'd hate to have to remove the nicely epoxied housing that is already there. I emailed Airmar a few days ago too but have not heard back from them.

Thanks,

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Clearly the "6 pin" is not going to be compatible with NMEA 2000 due to the electrical and logic protocols. what are you trying to gain by converting to NMEA 2000?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
You can buy a P-79 Smart-NMEA 2K transducer, it will just replace your transducer, or a Garmin NMEA 2000 transducer adapter kit PN 010-11525-00.

Nov 14, 2013
You can buy a P-79 Smart-NMEA 2K transducer, it will just replace your transducer, or a Garmin NMEA 2000 transducer adapter kit PN 010-11525-00.
Maine, thank you so much! That kit is what I am looking for.

Nov 14, 2013
Clearly the "6 pin" is not going to be compatible with NMEA 2000 due to the electrical and logic protocols. what are you trying to gain by converting to NMEA 2000?
Well.....this is an '83 Catalina 30 new to us 3 years ago. All the instruments were 1980's vintage and non-functional so I removed them with the intent of starting new and taking advantage of modern technology. The boat did come, however, with a very nicely installed Garmin 740s wired to a P79 in hull (no hole) transducer. This spring while the mast is down I am adding a wind instrument using the 740 as the display. So I wanted to remove even more unneeded and unused wiring and go with the 2K and one simple wire harness to the 740 transmitting all my data.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Well.....this is an '83 Catalina 30 new to us 3 years ago. All the instruments were 1980's vintage and non-functional so I removed them with the intent of starting new and taking advantage of modern technology. The boat did come, however, with a very nicely installed Garmin 740s wired to a P79 in hull (no hole) transducer. This spring while the mast is down I am adding a wind instrument using the 740 as the display. So I wanted to remove even more unneeded and unused wiring and go with the 2K and one simple wire harness to the 740 transmitting all my data.
I think you will soon find the 740 screen becomes far too small to do everything you want. Heck even my customers with 12" plotters often wind up with dedicated instruments. Look into a GMI-20, or a couple, to display wind etc...

Nov 14, 2013
I think you will soon find the 740 screen becomes far too small to do everything you want. Heck even my customers with 12" plotters often wind up with dedicated instruments. Look into a GMI-20, or a couple, to display wind etc...
Understood and agreed. It is also, the 740, poorly located for a wind instrument, right at the helm and only view able when standing right behind it. All in good time. Thanks again for your input Maine, you have no idea how much your advice helps so many of us. I have a dripless and new shaft in Trinity and could not have done it (well maybe I could have done it, but certainly not as easily) without your wonderfully detailed website. Thank you again!