Nj marina's vs covid-19 close or open

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
fortunately my boat was splashed the other day and now almost ready to go sailing.
This past weekend a lot of my fellow boaters were about the marina winter storage yard working frantically to get there boats preped to launch. Everyone appear to be practicing social distancing and protecting each other by wearing gloves and masks. Marina is closed Sunday and Monday normally and everyone seems to be jockeying for a launch time. Marina normally does not officially open untill Apirl 1st so they only have a skeleton crew now, which have not removed ice eaters or turned on the water yet.

I'm just wondering if this pandemic continues well past the spring season and into the Summer how this Will effect the marina. Marina has a pool and bar that will obviously be closed, but I wonder if the marina will closed gates to everyone and not allow access to your boat.
Our governor has mandated that all non essential business are to be closed with the exception of some constuction and repair service company's
That being said I believe that a marina/ boat yard is considered non essential.
So looks like the boating industry is going to be quarantined

I hope that we will be allowed to go boating provided people use common sense. Rumors are starting that the owners of the marina are going to close untill further notice to comply with governors orders.

If so I get it much bigger issues to deal with, for sure.
but I still would like to use my boat⛵⛵⛵

How is your marina dealing with it?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
A friend that lives aboard at a marina says 5 or 6 other boats are now occupied by liveaboards on his dock alone. Probably will stay aboard till it is all over?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My marina usually opens April 1, but I began to worry about them closing due to the C-virus. over the weekend, Indiana declared a “stay at home” order To go into effect at midnight on Tuesday. I stopped in the office on Tuesday and asked what this meant for launching. They didn’t know. So I rushed to get bottom painted on and had them out me in the water.

as I was leaving the marina, the guard told me they were closing and I couldn’t come back into the marina :facepalm:

I am going to try to get in on Saturday to check on the boat...

certainly did not go the way I thought it was going to go :banghead:

Greg