Nimble 20 yawl - what's the displacement?

Jul 24, 2018
None right now still lookin' North Atlanta
Happy Memorial Day weekend to everyone.

I'm very interested in the Nimble 20, but need to know the real displacement before I pursue looking further (and none are local to me). Too heavy and I'll need to start worrying about trailer brakes and my tow vehicle's capacity. References range from 1650 to 2600 lbs.

1) Ad from Cruising World, 1986 "Boat Show in Print"
1650 lbs

2) L-36.com
1800 lbs

3) Pocketyachtcruising/Consideration List
2200 lbs

4) Sailboat data
2600 lbs

5) Dick Simon Yachts (manufacturer's ad)
1854 lbs

So, any Nimble 20 owners out there? It'd really be helpful to know the combined boat and trailer weight, but let's just start with the boat itself.

Nimbleboatworks.com doesn't list the specs, and the contact page is broke on my browser (no captcha). I suppose I could call them after the long weekend....

References:
1 - Cruising World

2 - Dimensions of Nimble 20 (phrf)

3 - Candidates - pocketyachtcruising

4- https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/nimble-20

5 - Nimble 20 Sailboat

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Most of the displacement data I see for used Nimble 20 yawls is 2600 lbs. However, depends on whether you are referring to loaded, light, normal or standard displacement, which considers weight of basic gear, passengers, stores, fuel and water tanks, etc. Calculating displacement based on Archimedes principle makes for an interesting measurements and mathematical exercise. Displacement is determined by the internal volume of the hull multiplied by the density of the water in which the boat floats. There is a slight difference between fresh and salt water density (use 64 lb/cf in salt water and 62.4 lb/cf in fresh water).

Jul 24, 2018
None right now still lookin' North Atlanta
I'm thinking 2600 lbs is the displacement at design water line, so loaded with passengers and gear. Adding to the confusion, the "Offshore" version had additional ballast, and Nimble may have changed design slightly during the production run, so I can see where the other numbers may have come from.

Regarding Archimedes, weight is weight.

Displacement is calculated using the volume of the submerged portion of the hull, not the whole thing. On the outer hull, it would have two different water lines due to the density of the medium it's in (salt vs fresh water), and would sit higher in the salt water, since it's more dense.

Lbs of fresh water displaced would equal lbs of salt water displaced. The only difference there is the volume displaced, which only affects the water line.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I'm thinking 2600 lbs is the displacement at design water line, so loaded with passengers and gear. Adding to the confusion, the "Offshore" version had additional ballast, and Nimble may have changed design slightly during the production run, so I can see where the other numbers may have come from.

Regarding Archimedes, weight is weight.

Displacement is calculated using the volume of the submerged portion of the hull, not the whole thing. On the outer hull, it would have two different water lines due to the density of the medium it's in (salt vs fresh water), and would sit higher in the salt water, since it's more dense.

Lbs of fresh water displaced would equal lbs of salt water displaced. The only difference there is the volume displaced, which only affects the water line.
I don’t know... sounds like you are saying a tonne of feathers weighs as much as a tonne of lead:biggrin:

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Joe the Sailor,

Appreciate the clarification as I agree displacement refers to the volume of the boat hull submerged.

Jan 6, 2021
none yet, looking for new none yet Clearwater, Fl
The Nimble 20 came in two versions. Standard and Offshore. Offshore having more ballast. But I can find no documentation on how to tell them apart.
Can anyone help?
Thanks