Nicro Cabin Vents

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
Thinking about adding Nicro vents or equivalent this fall to help ventilate during our long Lake Erie Winter. Any suggestions on best locations for intake and exit vents? Best models? 3" or 4" sizes?

Any experience is much appreciated.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Exit vent in the head window; you don't need an intake vent, there are enough leakage points; or leave the cabin top hatch at the 1st catch

Aug 7, 2007
- - Oyster Bay, NY
If you cover your boat (and I assume you do in your area). The Nicro Solar vents stop after a while with no sun light to charge them.

I cover my boat with a canvas cover and I do leave top and forward hatch open at the 1st catch and leave the head window open for air movement.

I do have a Nicro Solar vent in my top hatch. Don't really like adding anymore holes then need to.

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
Hi Ed: We have an intake vent in the V-birth and an exhaust vent above the galley. Has worked great and if the shrink wrap is the clear type the fans will run all year.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Bob, can you please post some pics of your vents? I'm thinking of adding a couple. To the head is the first place I want to tackle.

Thanks.

Jesse

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Thanks all. I've been out of commission for a few days. I was also thinking one vent would be enough considering the free flow around the cockpit lockers. I keep the doors for the raw water and head intake valves open when through-hull valves are closed (as a visual reminder) so I get air flow through too. Wouldn't the Nicro vents be too large to install in head window? Seeing Bob's boat got me thinking... Pics?

I don't cover the boat; so far anyway. I tape the cockpit lockers and companionway doors to minimize snow entry. Wasn't as careful last year and had a nice snow drift on the steps. Once I fixed that, boat stay pretty dry inside, as I keep four 1L dessicant canisters in strategic places and recharge them mid-winter.

May 3, 2008
Ed and Jesse: I'll try to remember to take some pics of the solar vents this weekend. I opted to not put one in the head as it would vent under the dodger.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I didn't have much luck with them. I installed mine in the forward hatch about 5 years ago. I chose the hatch because I figured it would be easier than cutting a 4" hole in my deck. I am glad I did. It's much easier to repair. My first vent lasted just over a year and a half. Marinco was very good honoring a warranty and replaced it. The second one lasted about a season. At first I thought it was due to my winter canvas cover killing the rechargeable battery but I later believe it's the actual fan motor that is the problem. These units are just not robust enough to cut a hole in the boat for. This is just my opinion. Ross, a valued contributor to SBO, suggested using a 12v computer fan which is probably far more reliable.

Jan 22, 2008
this is exactly how I wanted to install it in the head. How does it do with rain? Any leaks?
No issues with rain. Only time it took water in was when we got knocked flat in a 55kt gust on the Lake Ontario 300 in 2010. They are weather tite but not submersible
P

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Bob, Thanks for sending the photos via email in the interim. I'll post them here since you were having trouble. I recalled seeing one of your two vents during the rendezvous, but I saw so many different 310’s in a few hours…
Hope you had a good last sail. We sailed Saturday to Huron to watch OSU game at the Brass Pelican. Winds out of N-NE. Pulled up along the wall with river flowing backwards at a good clip. Popped a fender (replaced by WM on Sunday), and folks kept commenting on how much that Texas sailboat was rocking. By halftime we decided to leave. Motored back with six+ foot waves on starboard beam until we reached the Cedar Point channel. Once we turned West, we were surfing. First time we've seen 10 knots! Docked at sunset, and it immediately quieted down. Cushions came off in the cabin. Worst we’ve boated in so far, and a great learning experience.

We come out on the 19th, so hopefully a couple of good weather days left.

My inner engineer is wondering if a low current fan could be rigged in series in the bilge blower ducts and a small solar panel strategically placed. My cabin doors are Lexan in lieu of boards, and if I put a solar panel inside the doors it would have decent light and no snow buildup. I have some 12V UPS batteries that I wouldn’t mind sacrificing to an experiment. Flow in the aft vents, through the opened bilge and out the leaks may be effective.

Jesse, safe travels. You are living our dream…

Ed
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Bob
What is the pad eye on the cabin top just ahead of the mast?
Peter

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
First time we've seen 10 knots!
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
My best SOG (under motor) in Jacqueline was a little over 14 knots, coming down the East River by Manhattan, with a significant current helping to move me.

Jan 22, 2008
16.1 GPS 18.2 knot meter.
Lake Ontario 300 2010. surfing in 6' seas, 35-40kts on the port quarter, wing on wing with factory 135 furler and double reefed.
This was after getting knocked flat by a 55kt gust which folded a borrowed whisker pole in half as we rolled around up into the wind as she picked herself up.

Biggest rush since my first sex. LOL

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
My handheld GPS shows a max speed of 11.4 kts. I'm not sure when this happened, maybe in the parking lot at the club? I don't think I've seen faster than 8.1 on the knot meter, but it is out by as much as 1 knot. Think I'll stick with the 11.4.......

Cheers

May 3, 2008
Peter, two uses; initially used for a block used with the spinnaker, now used as a clip-on for a pfd harness if needed for working up there and also, as shown, to attach the spinnaker halyard. I have three clip-on pad eyes with two more in the cockpit fore and aft of the wheel. Belt and suspenders!

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks Bob
I usually run jack lines if I am racing overnight or heading out in rough conditions but that pad eyes are a good idea. How do you finish inside? Aluminum backing plate & acorn nuts?
Peter