Nice Run...

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
As a follow up to the post last week about my friend's acquisition of a boat from the original owner with memory impairment, we successfully delivered the boat from Plymouth, MA to Portland, ME on Friday.
We drove down on Thursday and spent the night aboard. Up at 04:00 to start the final prep before getting underway at 04:28 with a slow navigation to open water. Then a basic course of 19True. The trip was a power sail the entire route. 25hundred rpm with a combination of main, main and Genoa , Genoa and finally the A chute. A quartering sea with at some times 6-8 foot swells made it interesting. When we settled on the A chute, we found ourselves running ahead of the swells and surfing downhill... During this period we were averaging above 7.5 kts over the bottom, with a lot of time in the 8's. Managed to score a few surfing hits above 9 kts ! The boat lacked a wind transducer, but form most of the trip we had light SW'ers in the 6-8 kt range ( experienced guess)
About 20 nm away from our destination, a change in the the sea state and wind direction required us to snuff the chute and motor the rest of the way.
We arrived just before 21:30 hrs. Almost exactly 16 hrs. Total distance 110.3nm... A respectable Avg of more than 6.875 kts..
The boat delivered was a 1988 Catalina 34...

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Thanks for the report back. Love to hear the outcomes!

dj

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
No criticism here, but it never would have occurred to me to motor sail with a chute. Interesting idea.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice. You got to experience several power sources. I like it. Should have been a great introduction to the new owner.

Congrats. :thumbup:

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Nice. You got to experience several power sources. I like it. Should have been a great introduction to the new owner.

Congrats. :thumbup:
This was an awesome opportunity for the new owner. We were a crew of three. Each taking a 5 nautical mile helm stint. Depending on the SOG about 45 minutes. Since my boat is basically the same, we were going out in the previous weekends doing 101's...202's...303's and this delivery was the 404 culmination. He really had a good look at various sail plans...

• Helpful
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
No criticism here, but it never would have occurred to me to motor sail with a chute. Interesting idea.
Yeah, just a little outside the box... the engine and chute complimented each other.. Too much engine and we'd have outrun the sail. But it was just enough to maintain a decent pace. We were on a mission to deliver in a timely fashion, this was not a leisure cruise.....

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Nice. Love it when a plan comes together.
Brian, this was planned to a certain extent for months... Then COVID blew it to hell in a hand basket. First he couldn't get a survey...then the new electronic suite couldn't be installed... then MA went into lock down so he couldn't buff the hull and add graphics...nor bottom paint..FINALLY.. the surveyor was allowed to work, then the riggers for the electronics, and the paint and buffing happened.....and then the hauler got cancelled...huh?? Got hauled, stepped and launched on the 5th. Went down with the outside thought that MAYBE, just Maybe we could bring her home on the 6th..... NOPE, the electronics vendor screwed up on the wiring...and then when I was setting the Genoa on the foil, I noted something not right. Long story, short the furler was trash..New one ordered more money out of pocket, and more delays..Wednesday comes the call... ALL set, everything ready to go.... and the rest is history...

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Yeah, just a little outside the box... the engine and chute complimented each other.. Too much engine and we'd have outrun the sail. But it was just enough to maintain a decent pace. We were on a mission to deliver in a timely fashion, this was not a leisure cruise.....
In my book, deliveries never are.