Nice photo of an Alden Challenger by Tyler Fields.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I'm a fan of Tyler's work. He shoots boats; on the water, in sheds being worked on and in his travels.

Cape Cod and the nearby islands (Tyler's home waters), is one of my favorite sailing grounds. It's different than my local sailing grounds on the coast of Maine.

Around Cape Cod, the wind blows harder, the sun seems brighter, the water is warmer, and when I'm sailing down there, it all comes on with on a unique Cape Cod heat that Tyler captures in his photos.

I think this is AllIANCE out of Boston. Does anyone recognize the boat?

Alliance by Tyler Fields. .jpg

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i too am a huge fan of the self tending jib. the standard from when sailboats worked for a living

May 25, 2012
it is a hard read in this photo to discern what the sails are doing. the sunshine and shadows are different for each sail, and the windsock read is vague as well. very interesting. :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
hard read in this photo to discern what the sails are doing
Not sure I understand your confusion. The boat is on a starboard tack. Sails a drawing well. Maybe 55 degrees off the wind. There is a little bag between the lower jib hanks, but not unusual. Perhaps the skipper could have drawn the jib up a little tighter but not much. He looks to be enjoying his boat and the day.
Lighting, frame, background, focus and subject all contribute to a great photo.

May 25, 2012
Not sure I understand your confusion. The boat is on a starboard tack. Sails a drawing well. Maybe 55 degrees off the wind. There is a little bag between the lower jib hanks, but not unusual. Perhaps the skipper could have drawn the jib up a little tighter but not much. He looks to be enjoying his boat and the day.
Lighting, frame, background, focus and subject all contribute to a great photo.
Correct, the shadowing on the jib is reversed of that on the mizzen. at first glance it was, "what" due to the different shadows. for me it was not an instant read. i had to study the photo to figure it out. i enjoyed it as one might enjoy a puzzle. loved the photo :)

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
Look at that mizzen mast bend... cool way to flatten the 'kick ass". Perhaps aluminium was never meant for mizzens...