Next project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2004
- - Carson City, NV
Thanks to the help I've received here, I sent my sails off for a good cleaning and grommets for sail slides. The shrouds were sent off this weekend for replacement. I'm still contemplating rigging the boat with power but am more intimidated by the extra weight this may cause. Anyway, Does anyone have any ideas how I can replace the keel-to-winch cable without having to take the boat off the trailer, I don't have any boat stands. Thanks again for the excellent advise Bryan

V

vwjon

No Prob

I just crawled under my '74 V21 to double check. You shouldn't have to jack it up to change the cable. I've done it and as I remember there's room in the tunnel to fish the bolt out. I also just ordered a winch with a brake to replace the original one that freewheels when it gets away from you. That handle will come around and hit the back of your hand before you can blink. It can't be good on the boat either, having the keel drop down that hard. I ordered from northerntool.com Part #129681 $44.99 plus shipping.

Jun 21, 2004
- - Carson City, NV
Thanks vwjon

Unfortunately the boat's in storage so haven't had a chance to look. I wasn't looking forward to trying to jack and block the boat up. BTW I had a 1967 VW Bus in high school, and the repair manual for the "Complete Idiot". I was completely self sufficient with that vehicle. Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.