Newport vs Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2012
Hunter Legend 35.5 Portland
Okay Newport owners, convince me to buy a 1988 Newport 31 over a 1985 Catalina 30. The Catalina has rediculous specs, i.e. new sails, new running rig, new canvas, new ss shaft and curlass bearing, etc...!!! The Newport just gets my juices flowing though. This will be my first boat. The only advantage on the Newport is a diesel forced air heating system, 2 owner and only fresh water, not a dime a dozen like the Cat, and Ooooh Laa Laa...!!! HELP...!!! Oh, and the Cat is $5k less.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Wow, what a choice.

First impression: buy the C30.

Why? Better support.

If you compare the two, you have essentially the same "genre" of age. Are there differences in the engines?

I hate to have to say this (and there will be some Newport owners around) but the "impression" is that a Newport is a "thin" Catalina.

Any interior differences? Systems other than the diesel heater? You could also add one. Depends on how you plan to use YOUR new boat.

Good luck.

Jul 30, 2012
Thanks for the input Stu

The Cat seems to be a smoking deal, just because of upgrades. If the boats were equally equipped and the same price, I would definately go for the Newport. The Newport wins out with the engine, 21hp 3-cyl w/450hours. The Cat has an 18hp w/2000 hours. The Cat displaces 10200 w/4300 ballast. The Newport is 8500 w/3500 ballast, so you are right, the Newport is a little thinner. Do you own a Newport or a Catalina?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Thanks for the input Stu Do you own a Newport or a Catalina?
You're kidding, right? I do not own a Newport, check my "signature." :)

I suggest you forget the "ballast." It is NOT an issue.

Engines: The Newport wins out with the engine, 21hp 3-cyl w/450hours. The Cat has an 18hp w/2000 hours.

Not so fast.

Both relatively the same age, right? An unused engine sometimes could be more of an issue than a well used and lubricated engine with higher hours.

Only you can tell, since we're not there with you.

Mar 28, 2010
Catalina C320 Washington, NC
And now a contrary view....

I believe that the Catalina is the better boat and better buy. But the truth is that either boat will likely do what you want it to do. If you really, really like that Newport better, go with that one. I believe you will be happier in the long run. If you go with the other boat, everytime you pass a Newport, you'll say that I wish I had gone with that one and regret your earlier decision.

Feb 27, 2005
Hunter 33.5 Missouri
I'm with Stu on this, upgrades and care and above all else a manufacturer that's still in business providing support (technical and parts). Think of what you can do with the additional 5 K.

My two cents!

Steve

Eric M

Sep 30, 2008
Island Packet 35 Jacksonville
You have been give a bunch of good advice above and only you can make the final decision, but some additional food for thought is to try to figure out what it would cost to make both boats "the same". A set of sails for either boat is going to run $4-5k, running rigging $1K, any nicer electronics on one over the other? Canvas work, bottom paint condition, etc. Boats cost way, way more as pieces, so make sure to add up all the pieces you are buying with either option. If you really like one over the other for astetic reasons with the real cost difference you can decide if it is worth it.
Good Luck

Jul 30, 2012
Sorry about the oversight Stu, nice Catalina... Thanks for all the input guys. Logic likes the Catalina. Eyeballs like the Newport. I believe I would be happy with either, just having a tough time choosing.

Cheers

Aug 2, 2011
Newport 30 MKIII Madeira Beach, FL
Good surveyors don't come cheap and a cheap surveyor may be money thrown away. If you really like both boat the way it sounds like you do then it's worth getting both boats surveyed. Get an impartial, knowledgeable opinion by someone who can tell you what you can't see or don't know. Considering what you will spend to buy a boat and what you will spend to keep a boat it will be money well spent.

Len Keller
Windborne, N30 III
Madeira Beach, FL

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Okay Newport owners, convince me to buy a 1988 Newport 31 over a 1985 Catalina 30. The Catalina has rediculous specs, i.e. new sails, new running rig, new canvas, new ss shaft and curlass bearing, etc...!!! The Newport just gets my juices flowing though. This will be my first boat. The only advantage on the Newport is a diesel forced air heating system, 2 owner and only fresh water, not a dime a dozen like the Cat, and Ooooh Laa Laa...!!! HELP...!!! Oh, and the Cat is $5k less.
Just curious... why move down from a 35 footer?

And while at their ages condition is very important, pick the one that sails better. Not sure about the Newport 31, but the older New. 30 was a very good (!) sailing boat.

Another key difference is that the Newport's used a flange hull to deck joint with thru bolts, and the Cat used a shoebox joint. Having said that, Newport was infamous for poor caulking in those joints. Go figure! :)

Forced air heater note: check on the actual model. Some older ones are nowadays hard to source parts for, and others have no problem.

Both boats are old enough to potentially have water in the deck coring, and a good survey will tell the tale. I hope the previous owner(s) have rebedded all the deck hardware. Both craft should be on their second set of standing rigging by now. Ask about these preventative maint. items, and do not let the broker give you a vague answer... unless that vague answer is accompanied by a 5K price instant reduction upfront.

If you want an excellent survey, contact Alison. Best in the NW. Period.
http://www.alisonmazon.com/

(I have no personal or business connection.)

Engine note: Both companies used a lot of Universal engines. An '88 model should normally be an M25XP, 23 hp. I would doubt that it would be older M25 @ 21 hp. Anything's possible, I guess. ??

Jul 30, 2012
Thanks all. I have made an offer on the Catalina. Too much good stuff and a lower price. It is on yachtworld if anyone would like to comment (YW# 77186-2503371). As far as moving down from a 35, I never actually owned the Hunter. We were going to get a 35-36, but we found a moorage 1/2 mile from our house and it will only take a 30. Too convenient to pass up.

Status
Not open for further replies.