Newport anchorages

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
So friends are invited wife and i to Newport for the folk festival this coming weekend. Tried to reserve a mooring however getting shut out. Anchorage in south of harbor will be packed with non ticket festival people partying on their boats….. probably full already. Anybody have experience with the anchorage before the bridge? Ample room? Currents? Opinions/options. Planning for a Friday arrival from block island.

thanks all
Greg
s/v Souleil

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have anchored north of the bridge to Goat Island. Years ago there was room but it seems that moorings are taking the space.
It's been 10+ years so I don't know how much space is available now. I think the currents are about the same as in Newport harbor.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
So friends are invited wife and i to Newport for the folk festival this coming weekend. Tried to reserve a mooring however getting shut out. Anchorage in south of harbor will be packed with non ticket festival people partying on their boats….. probably full already. Anybody have experience with the anchorage before the bridge? Ample room? Currents? Opinions/options. Planning for a Friday arrival from block island.

thanks all
Greg
s/v Souleil
I sailed out of the NYC for many years, know the harbor very well, and I can tell you there is no good answer to your question. Absent a mooring reservation. Even on a mooring the harbor will be very busy and rough. If you have a robust dinghy I would consider anchoring north of the bridge on the west side, over near the toll booths. That anchorage is quite well protected from the prevailing southerly, and from drunken power boat drivers roiling up the waters. Perhaps your friends could pick you up in their car near the toll booths and beach your dinghy there.
Sorry, best I can do.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I went to the festival in my boat in 2008. I anchored in the harbor, pretty close to the Fort, near Ida Lewis rock. I have a theory that where boats are anchored, there's always room for one more. It's deep, though, and rocky, like 20~22'. And very busy.

There was no good accommodation for dinghies approaching, you felt like you were parking illegally, and hoping the dinghy would be there when you returned.

Maybe you could cruise through the anchorage and see if someone would let you raft up with them.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Jamestown is only a 10 minute dinghy
That would have to be a fast, seaworthy dinghy! It's 2.42 miles in a straight line from the Potters Cove anchorage in Jamestown to Fort Adams, across the East Passage. You'd have to do 13 kt. at least to do it in 10 minutes. :). The other Jamestown anchorage, the West Ferry would be impractical.

Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 7.50.59 AM.png

anchorage

Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 7.52.51 AM.png

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Thanks for all the great input……. We will see what I do. Weather piping up now here on block and will be for the next few days.

I was thinking north of Newport harbor south of the bridge……… pretty large anchorage. Sure a bit rolly but I hear good holding and close to town. There are also 3 transient dinghy docks.

again that’s to all for the input and if anyone has a private mooring you’re not using, I’ll buy you a whatever you want!

greg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks for all the great input……. We will see what I do. Weather piping up now here on block and will be for the next few days.

I was thinking north of Newport harbor south of the bridge……… pretty large anchorage. Sure a bit rolly but I hear good holding and close to town. There are also 3 transient dinghy docks.

again that’s to all for the input and if anyone has a private mooring you’re not using, I’ll buy you a whatever you want!

greg
Thanks for following up!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Greg,
Here is where I have anchored previously, albeit a long time ago (see first chart). I recall that the holding was good and you can take your dinghy under the Hog Island bridge and land it at the dinghy dock at St. Ann's Pier (see second chart). The dock is set far in to the land, so you need to look carefully to see it. I am un-aware of other dinghy docks although @jviss above alluded to them.

I would only attempt to take a normal dinghy between Jamestown and Newport in calm weather and daylight. Take extra fuel if you try.

Alternate Newport Anchorages.jpg
Alternate Newport Anchorages002.jpg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Actually, there's a really good dinghy dock at the North end of the harbor, but it's a long walk to where the folk festival is.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Greg
How crazy is Block? Thinking of heading there Monday. The weather looks nasty Thursday gusting 33 kt most of the afternoon. Hope you’re not anchored!

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
Last summer, we stayed on a mooring at TPG Conanicut marina in Jamestown, they have a ferry over to Newport. Very pricey for a mooring something like $3/foot if I remember right but at least they include launch. The ferry runs later for the festivals.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Greg
How crazy is Block? Thinking of heading there Monday. The weather looks nasty Thursday gusting 33 kt most of the afternoon. Hope you’re not anchored!
block is real nice…… got a bit gusty this afternoon. Little commotion with people dragging but fortunately is occurred during the day and it was sunny and hot. Nothing too much above 30. Yes on anchor…… these day wouldn’t have it any other way. 50 lb Rocna with 180 feet of 3/8 chain. Out in deep water by the tug and didn’t budge. The one guy that was a hot mess and in line of fire if her dragged ended up pulling anchor and getting a mooring…… been perfect weather otherwise for a couple of weeks!

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Last summer, we stayed on a mooring at TPG Conanicut marina in Jamestown, they have a ferry over to Newport. Very pricey for a mooring something like $3/foot if I remember right but at least they include launch. The ferry runs later for the festivals.
yea we were on a wait list…… no go due to the festival.
Thanks

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
block is real nice…… got a bit gusty this afternoon. Little commotion with people dragging but fortunately is occurred during the day and it was sunny and hot. Nothing too much above 30. Yes on anchor…… these day wouldn’t have it any other way. 50 lb Rocna with 180 feet of 3/8 chain. Out in deep water by the tug and didn’t budge. The one guy that was a hot mess and in line of fire if her dragged ended up pulling anchor and getting a mooring…… been perfect weather otherwise for a couple of weeks!
There's always a show in the anchorage when the wind blows. I was there once on my Catalina 36 with a 33 lb. claw and 150'' of 5/16" chain. I stood fast, but people all around were dragging, and it was night with a thunderstorm. Very exciting. Lots of blue lights, and panicky people. I hate when people drag into you and accuse you of dragging! Sounds like you have some sold ground tackle, good for you! That's a lot of anchor! I now have the Rocna 15 kg. It came with the boat. I wish I had then next size up, but it has worked well.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
There's always a show in the anchorage when the wind blows. I was there once on my Catalina 36 with a 33 lb. claw and 150'' of 5/16" chain. I stood fast, but people all around were dragging, and it was night with a thunderstorm. Very exciting. Lots of blue lights, and panicky people. I hate when people drag into you and accuse you of dragging! Sounds like you have some sold ground tackle, good for you! That's a lot of anchor! I now have the Rocna 15 kg. It came with the boat. I wish I had then next size up, but it has worked well.
I was here once on my last boat on a mooring….. before I had the coconuts to anchor, and a storm rolled in unexpected with 50 mph wind all night. It was bumper cars in the mooring field. That’s excitement. I swore I wanted to be out of the mooring field at that point but knew more is better in regards to ground tackle!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I was here once on my last boat on a mooring….. before I had the coconuts to anchor, and a storm rolled in unexpected with 50 mph wind all night. It was bumper cars in the mooring field. That’s excitement. I swore I wanted to be out of the mooring field at that point but knew more is better in regards to ground tackle!
Maybe that was the night I recall, it blew 50 to 55 kt. for about an hour.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
These posts make me nostalgic for New England.
We saw our own night like that in GSP. We had a near 100 degree heat wave broken by a rip snorting New England Cold Front. Next AM the Harbor Master spent a few hours re- arranging the moorings with a lot of head scratching. In the anchorage it was pretty ugly with boats dragging down on others. During the storm the VHF was pretty lively. On our mooring it didn't feel safe to be in the cockpit such was the violence of the boat movements.
The whole harbor let out a cheer when it was over in appreciation of mother natures wrath. Good times!

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Actually, there's a really good dinghy dock at the North end of the harbor, but it's a long walk to where the folk festival is.
We have tied up our dinghy at the sailing school dock in Brenton Cove. This is a short walk to the festivities.