newport 28mk2 stern tube diameter, pss selection

adamv

May 17, 2022
Newport 28 mkII Bowen island
Hi, I have a dripping stuffing box (1 every 5 seconds, even when i arrive at the boat, more when running). I'd love to have a dry boat and so a PSS seems attractive. Has anyone had any experience selecting one for this boat? The shaft looks to be 7/8ths according to the calipers but hard to measure the stern tube. Does anyone know what the diameter is for N28mk2? Or a reliable way to measure it with the cuff still on?
Thanks!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Can’t help you with dimensions for your boat, but went with a Volvo Penta dripless seal before I splashed this year.

It is very simple rubber lip seal, no moving parts, and cheaper than a PSS. And if space is an issue, the Volvo seal is pretty compact.

All you need to measure is 1) your shaft diameter and 2) the diameter of the shaft log (where your current stuffing box is clamped on).

Old vs new
EB034C9C-D023-42FE-BCEF-8D06F923112A.jpeg

It really opened up my bilge area, and it is now dry as a bone.
763784AA-DDF6-49E2-9276-C9CA0DD803BF.jpeg

You do need to be able to get your coupling off, and the shaft needs to be smooth where the seal will ride.

Greg

adamv

May 17, 2022
Newport 28 mkII Bowen island
Thanks Greg, looks great! oh to have a dry engine compartment like that! here's the problem - the current assembly covers the stern tube / shaft log exceptionally well making it a guess what the diameter is