Newport 28 Mast Wiring

May 30, 2015
Newport 28 King Harbor
We recently lowered the mast to replace the standing rigging on a donated Newport 28. While we were at it, I replaced the halyards, masthead and spreader lights and antenna coax.

The wiring from the starboard electrical panel to the mast base needs to be replaced.

Has anyone done this replacement?

There does not appear to be anyway to pull new wiring. There also does not appear to be any interior cabin access to the wiring or the base of the mast.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jun 5, 2014
Capital Yacths Newport MKIII 30 Punta Gorda, Fl
I have a Newport 30. I have had the headliner down and appears that there is not a way to pull anything from the bottom of the mast too. The cables coming out are really tight. I had thought maybe it was just mine, but maybe they were made this way. I would love to know the answer too.

Jan 15, 2011
Newport 30MKII Bayview ID
Capital Yachts molded the wiring into the top of the cabin and it does not move...period. I had to replace the wiring from the panel to the mast and ended up running the wire down through the engine compartment, through the bilge and then up the side wall of the head. If yu look to the right of the electical compartment door, you should see a small chase that leads from the electrical compartment down to the side of the engine compartment. On my N-30, the wire ended up being 12-4 with ground (have to buy from a chandlery or you can use two 12-2 with ground, just keep the wires straight as to which cable is which) and I pulled it at 21 feet. I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the soleplate for the mast and pushed the wire up to the inside. Note that the mast steps directly above the compression post which gives a solid connection/ support from the keel to the mast step. I stripped back the wires for the lights (hopefully they are marked) and used a 4 prong trailer plug to make the final connection. Use maring wire and be sure to tin the ends of the wire...also make sure that you use heat shrink type butt connectors when you splice the wires together...otherwise you can get moisture and corrosion. While I had my mast down, I also replaced spreader, foremast and masthead lights with LED's...
Good Luck...it isn't hard, just time consuming.

Jun 5, 2014
Capital Yacths Newport MKIII 30 Punta Gorda, Fl
I had kinda thought they might be molded in since mine are so tight. Did yu drill a hole in the sole plat close to the bottom of the mast and then run the wires back into the access hole at the bottom of the mast? Do you have any pictures of yours? I don't need to change wires now but options for the future would be great. Thanks

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 343 Saint Helens, Oregon OR
Had a '87 Newport 30 Mk III. Same issue. I ran a trailer-type flat wire across the ceiling between the top and liner, then bored a hole on a bit of a diagonal that came up just aft and port of the mast, installed a plug socket and mated up with the mast wiring. My setup did leak a little, which showed up over by the port. Took everything apart and re-caulked and stopped the leak.
The flat wire was not tinned but I felt it was the best option.