Newby with a ton of questions starting with block and tackle mainsail

Feb 24, 2023
Catalina 22 Charleston
Ok so please forgive my lack of terminology I hope it will get better with time. I bought a 1979, cat22 , and when I went to set it up the boom mainsheet block and tackle , was missing, question is what is the best size rigging to use? And where besides eBay can I find a good one?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the SBO Forum. You likely have a million questions. You are correct trying to understand the language of "Boat". If for no other reason than to enable the crew here too understand your query.

Pictures of your problem will help break down the language barrier.

Catalina has done a great job of providing manuals. You might find what you seek here: https://www.catalina22.org/index.php/technical-manual

You can also ask the SBO shop resident @Dave Groshong for his ideas.

As Don has indicated, Harken is one of the solid manufactures of block & tackle systems. I like and use their hardware on m boat.

Catalina built your boat's hull and deck. They outsourced the hardware (i.e. block & tackle etc.) that makes their hull move through the water.

If I was trying to solve your problem, I would first identify the needed systems. Then I would look at different product manufactures of those systems comparing quality and cost. Finally I would source the needed items from the store that has the items price and service that serves my need.

But that is just me. Your boat and your choice. It is what makes boat ownership so wonderful.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Ok so please forgive my lack of terminology I hope it will get better with time. I bought a 1979, cat22 , and when I went to set it up the boom mainsheet block and tackle , was missing, question is what is the best size rigging to use? And where besides eBay can I find a good one?
Line size will depend on its type and what's comfortable for you. New sets can be assembled with everything from dyneema to standard line its just up to you. My boat came with 3/8 line and I found it to be too big and heavy in lighter winds so I downsized it. West marine often has blocks on sale so if you look you can likely put together a rather affordable setup. If you want an off the shelf solution well... Catalina Direct is the place to go.

As a new owner I highly suggest joining the Catalina 22 association and investing in their tech manual. it will answer almost any question you have about the boat.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Also know that Garhauer knows all Catalinas, since they supply most of the hardware for them. Older boats had SeaFit blocks. Garhauer is often less expensive and just as good if not better than pricier Harken gear,although the Harken website is a great source of information about rigging and sizing and nomenclature. I used to own a 1981 C22.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
You can usually find lots of Schaefer fiddle blocks and assorted hardware around in marine chandleries. A 1979 Cat 22 probably does not need brand new gear, etc., unless maybe standing rigging The mainsheet tackle is often a 4x purchase using two fiddle blocks—at the boom the simple fiddle with the in-line pair of sheeves; at the deck a fiddle with becket and cam cleat for stopping the line. 3/8” yacht braid is probably good enough; perhaps even 1/4”. Used, you might get the whole enchilada or most of it for a C-note if you buy components and assemble yourself.

Last edited:

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Give me a call if you'd like, I can set up a 3:1 or 4:1 block and tackle with Garhauer or Harken blocks and Samson rope, boom bail and mast hound too if needed
dave
877-932-7245 x116
Mon-Fri, 10-5 Eastern