Newbie with no experience buys big boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
I'm reading this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Seas-.../dp/B00A6542M6

Fun read. Every couple of months someone asks if they can buy a boat with no experience and do some serious cruising. Not something I would do but everyone is different.

This guy did it and really barred his soul about what worked and what didn't work. I'm going to try to get him to join this forum so you animals can tear him up as is your custom.

For a short fat guy he is tough as nails and I'm sure can take it.
He found himself on a lee shore with a busted impeller and a full keel boat that would not point.
He saved the boat, with a clever hack, how did he do it.​

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
I havnt read the book, but I myself am rather amazed at the number of newbies who take on on these bold adventures, sailing off to Bermuda and the Bahamas with just a bit of lake time. Yet others stay land locked they're whole lives and never go anywhere, yet have tons of experience.

And lets face it, some people are very fast learners, and have a great deal of common sense. For example, it takes some people years to learn how to parallel park, or back a trailer, where someone else masters it within minutes.

Then there is psychology, that no one ever told them what they couldn't do. So they just did it. My hats off to those guys. At least the ones that made it back to tell about it.

sdstef

Jan 31, 2013
Hunter 28 Branched Oak Lake
I read that book over christmas break vacation, and could not put it down.. That guy fought against some bad luck and tough odds to at least give a life long dream a shot.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I was a bit hesitant to pick up this book after slugging thorough (and hating) "Bumfuzzle - Just out Looking for Pirates ". That book should have been entitled: "With a Lot of Luck, You Don't Have to Know Anything!”

I found Glenn Damato’s book to be hilariously entertaining and very well written. The author did not throw caution to the wind, as some do, but rather he thought things through logically and was well prepared . . . in most cases. The author had a goal in mind and with head up and brain in gear, he progressed towards it. A very good and easy read. We could only be so lucky to bring him onboard this forum.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
But there is the other side of the coin, where folks insist on ASA 100, 103, 104, 105 & 110 and five years minimum dinghy experience before you leave the harbor. This is usually accompanied by deep pockets, large boats and long cruising vacations.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
But there is the other side of the coin, where folks insist on ASA 100, 103, 104, 105 & 110 and five years minimum dinghy experience before you leave the harbor. This is usually accompanied by deep pockets, large boats and long cruising vacations.
Where can I find the deep pockets. :poke:

All U Get

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
five years minimum dinghy experience before you leave the harbor. ---

Haaaaahaaaa. Too much, man.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
If you can get your sailboat to go 5000 knots then you're ready to leave the harbor. :D

Feb 4, 2013
Downeast 38 Marina del Rey
Thanks for starting this thread, Caleb.

The boat I had in Breaking Seas was a Downeast 38 cutter - full keel, 44' LOA with the sprit. I made two huge mistakes: I did not do a very good job recruiting permanent crew (as readers can attest!) and I bought a boat with a very leaky hull-deck joint, a fact I did not know until I took the boat into a heavy sea, with rain and seawater shipping over the gunwales. Under those conditions, everything below got thoroughly soaked - completely unlivable.

There were other problems too . . . but those where the two deal breakers. I did not like single handing and staying on that boat alone.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Welcome aboard Glenn. Haven't read the book yet. I know if I had those two problems I would have given up. Takes a strong mind to push forward under those conditions.

Please enjoy your stay here at SBO.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Welcome Glenn. Reading the book right now. I enjoy your writing style. Very entertaining.

Bonzai

Jun 23, 2009
Chris-Craft SailYacht 35 St. Simon's Island, Ga.
Welcome Glenn! My exp. is pretty minimal also and am doing much the same thing. A little lake experience, the "deal" I couldn't pass up, now am 1 yr into getting boat ready to go! Will read book asap. Wife has Kindle..will get it tonight and buy book. Glad you made it back to tell the tale buddy! Cya out there....Bonzai

kmart

Jan 1, 2012
Pearson 10M Fall River, MA
Welcome Glenn! My exp. is pretty minimal also and am doing much the same thing. A little lake experience, the "deal" I couldn't pass up, now am 1 yr into getting boat ready to go! Will read book asap. Wife has Kindle..will get it tonight and buy book. Glad you made it back to tell the tale buddy! Cya out there....Bonzai
Welcome Glenn. Just finished your book. Very inspiring.

Sep 25, 2011
Ericson 25+ Watkins Glen
I havnt read the book, but I myself am rather amazed at the number of newbies who take on on these bold adventures, sailing off to Bermuda and the Bahamas with just a bit of lake time. Yet others stay land locked they're whole lives and never go anywhere, yet have tons of experience.

And lets face it, some people are very fast learners, and have a great deal of common sense. For example, it takes some people years to learn how to parallel park, or back a trailer, where someone else masters it within minutes.

Then there is psychology, that no one ever told them what they couldn't do. So they just did it. My hats off to those guys. At least the ones that made it back to tell about it.
i agree 100percent clanker, reminds me of that qoute"i admire a man who bites off more than he can chew,

Status
Not open for further replies.