Newbie question under engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2007
- - Oyster Bay, NY
New to our C310 and had a question. After a 30-45 minute run on the engine I am finding about ¼-1/8 cup of water under the motor. Is that common?

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Is it engine coolant?
How's the stuffing box? There are two drain holes to divert the drippings from the stuffing box down to the bilge away from under the engine. If these holes get clogged than the water will fill up the catch basin and overflow ending up under the engine.
Maybe the raw water pump shaft seal is leaking, or the hose connections to it?
Also if you have a older type heat exchanger with the mount tabs welded to it, the welds eventually fail from vibration, causing it to crack and leak, but coolant.
Also check the hoses to the heat exchanger, the engine mounts will eventually settle, this causes one of the hoses to cut into the top of the port rear bolt that holds the engine the mount.
The settled engine also causes the shaft to become out of alignment wearing the cutlass bearing in the external strut, but that is another story.

Aug 7, 2007
- - Oyster Bay, NY
It is not engine coolant. I did replaced my heat exchanger for that very reason this winter. The stuffing box has a small amount of water (spongefull). I will look at the the holes in the catch basin, and take a relook at the raw water system again.

Thanks for the input.

MarkZ

Nov 5, 2005
Hunter 49 Green Turtle Bay: Ky
One of the raw lines on my engine was chafing through after about one hundred hours. I think this is what Witzend was describing, as well. It was the water hose leading to the heat exchanger on the port side of the engine, and it was chafing on the rear motor mount. Take a look. It is easy to check and very obvious if this is a/the problem.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Yes, it was on the port side rear engine mount. I found when I re-aligned the engine before it chafed through.
Paul, you hoses and wire routing is completely different, much better, I have no clear access the the coupling due to all the hoses and wires. Did you re-route them?

Aug 7, 2007
- - Oyster Bay, NY
Thanks all for the help. It was the stuffing box and after adjusting it seems to be under control. Now here is my next question. It seems the stuffing box is too forward for the water to get to the bilge. So the water still ends up under the engine. Has anyone done anything to force the water back to the bilge area (create a dam of some type)? Or just do nothing, since each time I go out I look over the engine and it well let me see how much water is there.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
There should already be a dam there, check that the holes on either side that divert the water to the bilge are not pluged up.

Status
Not open for further replies.