Newbie, needs some guidance

3224tm

May 13, 2020
Hunter Legend San diego
Bought a "New to me" 1993 Hunter Legend 37.5 and I've got a few questions.
1. Is there a switch somewhere to turn on the refrigerator? The main panel doesn't have a breaker or switch for that.
2. On the wall there is a "Marine Air systems" thermostat. Am I assuming correctly that all I have to do it set that device to a room temp, and if the cabin gets too hot the AC will automatically kick on, and if it gets too cold the heat will kick on automatically? Nothing else to turn on?
3. How do I turn on the stove?
4. Is there a switch to turn on the water heater for showers?

Thanks
Tim

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
@3224tm -
1. I would expect a breaker labeled "Refrigerator" or "Refrigeration". If you don't see one, then I have no suggestion. Normally that is the On-Off switch for the refrigerator.
2. Yes, except there should also be a CB for the A/C Marine Air unit. And if you have two Marine air units it should be a separate panel with 3 switches. See pix below.
3. Assuming propane fuel, turn on the gas valve at the bottle, then turn on the gas solenoid to open the valve, turn the burner knob and depress the igniter. Be aware that it may likely take 15-30 seconds for the burner to ignite because the propane needs to flow to the stove. Because of this, I lit the burner the first time with a butane lighter, holding the flame on and waiting. Subsequent lighting's just use the igniter.
4. Yes and this will be a separate breaker on the AC distribution panel.
Lastly, if your h37.5 is like my h40.5 (actually sister ships) you will have two shore power connections. One is for everything EXCEPT the Marine Air A/C unit, and the other is dedicated for the A/C.

2013_0515_123432.JPG2013_0515_123441.JPG2013_0515_123451.JPG2013_0515_123459.JPG

hj5150

Oct 20, 2016
Hunter Legend 37.5 Longmont, CO.
Thank you for your replies. Here is my panel:
(note, I just found the Air Cond and the Water Heater switches) Thank you :) My old eyes.
Panel.jpg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Pardon for asking, but enquiring minds want to know:

FBD.JPG

Just what is "FRESH BLACK DIESEL" ?

If that breaker were to make "FRESH BLACK COFFEE" I would be willing to pay big bucks for one:p .

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
The perfect answer for @3224tm as he burns waste oil from the deep frier in his diesel, all the while sailing through the Arctic in the middle of winter.

Sail in Ice.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@3224tm Welcome to the Forum. May you find many solutions to your sailing challenges here.

If it was easy to figure out the electrical system, perhaps the previous owner would not have sold the boat. :biggrin:

Did you use a broker? Perhaps the broker can share some light on the issues. If not a broker, are you still friendly with the owner?

Barring the way way, you may have to go old school and just start flipping switches and then record what becomes usable / turns on or off. You can always breakout the trusty Digital Volt Meter and track the wires.

Refrigerators come in a couple of flavors. AC only AC/DC and DC only. There may be a switch inside the refridge, or beside it. You may be able to look at the wires coming into the compressor somewhere beneath the box. 3 wires might be AC. 2 wires definitely DC trace the wires back to the electrical panel and you may solve you first challenge.

Fresh Black diesel may be code for "Fuel Polisher"

3224tm

May 13, 2020
Hunter Legend San diego
Thank you for all the assistance. I'm going to see if I can contact the previous owner and find out.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
I have no idea either, but I would recommend having someone else flip that switch while you observe at a safe distance. Report back please. And be sure your yacht insurance is paid up.
And take video please!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The writing is on the breaker... What fun it is to explore your boat. You are likely to learn al sorts of interesting things in the next several months.

3224tm

May 13, 2020
Hunter Legend San diego
The writing is on the breaker... What fun it is to explore your boat. You are likely to learn al sorts of interesting things in the next several months.
Yeah, I'm stiil not sure about the knob above the "Snake River" tank monitor.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Reminds me of a Steven Wright quote:
“In my house there's this light switch that doesn't do anything. Every so often I would flick it on and off just to check. Yesterday, I got a call from a woman in Germany. She said, 'Cut it out.'