Newbie here with 1977 Hunter 27

Sep 18, 2020
Hunter 27 Port Jefferson
Great to be here....have a couple of questions:

Really stupid question: Can anyone tell me where the raw water intake seacock is located in this boat? I cannot find it. The last owner said it was in the starboard cabinet but I can't find it. The boat has a sendure heat exchanger in it.

Original owner upgrade engine to a 2qm15, I need new alternator, current on is the 35 amp Hitachi LR135-31 121370-77200 any suggestions on replacement alternators?

Sep 18, 2020
Hunter 27 Port Jefferson
I ordered the alternator from API marine 20106, it is the one with the T Connector and Pulse lead. Rich was very helpful when i called so they earned the biz.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Really stupid question: Can anyone tell me where the raw water intake seacock is located in this boat?
Not a stupid question at all when you look at some of the comments which have been made around here recently.

I'll take a wild guess and say this is the raw water to your engine.
Easiest way to find it is to follow the raw water inlet on your engine back to the thru-hull (seacock). This is a 2GM20F but you'll get the idea.

Engine STBD.JPG

Sep 18, 2020
Hunter 27 Port Jefferson
Not a stupid question at all when you look at some of the comments which have been made around here recently.

I'll take a wild guess and say this is the raw water to your engine.
Easiest way to find it is to follow the raw water inlet on your engine back to the thru-hull (seacock). This is a 2GM20F but you'll get the idea.

View attachment 197227
Ralph, Thanks. I have to look again, very little space around the engine to see anything. I can see where the thru hull is but nothing inside the boat and I know its there somewhere. LOL I just took out the fuel sep filter to take it apart, clean it, and new filter. It was put in a god awful place and nearly impossible to reach!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
No stupid questions here. If it is the raw water intake to the engine it is normally in front of and under the engine (where you will find the raw water strainer) as shown below from Figure 11.1 in the owner's manual in this link: 27_01 Introduction.indd (sailboatowners.com) . If it is the raw water intake for the head then look for that in a cabinet in the head.

1629151116390.png

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Take a couple of pictures of your engine compartment and post to us.

Sep 18, 2020
Hunter 27 Port Jefferson
Thank You All. I will look under the engine, I would have thought it would be located in an easy place to reach! sail sfbay, thanks for posting manual, mine is an older boat but hopefully some things would be similar..... I will post the pix asap

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Mine is a '77 h30. Not sure if the configurations are alike but the raw water thru-hull for the engine is located under the sink cabinet that sits immediately to starboard of the engine real close to the centerline. It may be as simple as something in the way that is blocking it from view. It shouldn't be far from the engine but not in the engine compartment. You will eventually find it.

• Helpful
Sep 18, 2020
Hunter 27 Port Jefferson
Roland, the papers I got with the boat mentioned in the cabinet, guess I have to look again....on the hunter 27 there are drawers by the sink and cabinet on the starboard side . I have to look again everywhere. Thanks

Sep 18, 2020
Hunter 27 Port Jefferson
Yippee, Found the raw water intake!!!! I've been looking in all the cabinets and under all the berths in vain. I didn't think to pull out the drawers located next the engine and under the sink. Whoa that is where they put it!! Seemed to me a stupid place, where in my opinion,
WP_20210818_15_09_29_Pro[1].jpg
WP_20210818_15_09_29_Pro[1].jpg
WP_20210818_15_11_28_Pro[1].jpg

in the cabinet would have been so much more logical.

Sep 18, 2020
Hunter 27 Port Jefferson
Ralph, ha-ha ya think so!!!. Waiting on new alternator a from API, I blew the diodes on the old one, accidentally reversed battery terminals like an idiot, I plan on putting lights in the battery compartment and in the engine box. Thanks

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Seemed to me a stupid place, where in my opinion,
No, what was stupid was to put a drawer over the valve thus hiding it. Also, one has to remove the drawer to access it. In an emergency that would waste precious time. Glad you were able to find it.

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Hunter 33 - Cherubini Port Clinton, OH
If you take a notion to, maybe make a label for the drawer explain there's a valve there. Yes, you know where it is now. But it may help your 1st mate if it's labelled.

Sep 18, 2020
Hunter 27 Port Jefferson
Rabe, Thanks for the suggestion......I thought the same thing. Seems so many boat manufacturers years ago did not put much thought where they located things.

Sep 18, 2020
Hunter 27 Port Jefferson
I had to return the alternator to API Marine, the holes for the mounting bolt were too large and the frame would hit the adjustment arm to tighten the belt. I didn't want to drill out the holes on a brand new alternator to replace the sleeves. I did go to an alternator shop who gave me a curved bracket that may work better for the next one. So back to square one with the alternator. I was looking at DB Electrical who shows another alternator with the correct size holes. Item #400-44113. I have three wires......E, B, and L for Charge Lamp....I know the P is for the Pulse tach......does anyone know if the terminal with the question mark is for the charge lamp? It looks like it is isolated.

Attachments