Newbie 35.5 owner...Checking water level?

Jan 3, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Punta Gorda, FL
Hi All! A quick question...is there a way to determine how much water is in the freshwater tank under the V berth? I was wondering if anyone had a way to do this other than just run it till it's empty, and fill it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions! DL

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
On my Hunter 280, with water tank in the bow, I had a tank level gauge.

On my current boat, I don’t have a tank gauge. 2) 30-gallon tanks under each settee. I just shine a flashlight down on the top of the tank , and look at the level of the water at the side of the tank. I did put inspection ports in the tanks, so I can open them and look inside if I want to.

Greg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If there's no water tank level monitor, the odds are good that there isn't one for the holding tank either. Unless your tanks are metal, The two tank system from SCAD Scad Tank Monitors (top rated by Practical Sailor) is an affordable solution that's easy to install because the sensors attach to the OUTside of the tanks.

--Peggie

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
A really inexpensive way to check the level is to attach a tee fitting to the bottom of the tank and run a clear tube to the height of the deck fill. You can calibrate the level in the tube so you can see at a glance the quantity remaining.
You need to run the tube to the height of the deck fill so that when it is filled and over-flows, the sight tube doesn't overflow into your interior.

This method is not as elegant as a real gauge, but it is quick and cheap!

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
Mine have been sealed for 31 and have no access hatch - I can only imagine what they look like. Ignorance is bliss. Might finally get around to installing a small hatch this summer.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
You can install an inexpensive battery powered flow meter to monitor your tank. Cost you about $25 and take about 15 minutes to install. Reset every time you fill. Replace batteries every Spring. Had mine for years. Very accurate. Buy on line.