Newb Tales

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
Entry One:
Took the c22 out a few weeks ago and it was warm enough at the ramp to do as little as possible before getting on the water. Deciding to raise the sails after ramp launch I set out on the lake in mild conditions. While hanking on the jib I look at the mast base to find that my electrical connection was pinned under the mast with the plug fully inside the mast.
There was no wind and I considered lowering the mast on the water since it was so calm but figured my luck had gotten me to where I already was so I headed back to the ramp. Fortunately there is a fueling dock that I used to lower the re-step the mast and free the wire. After this I found that the lights on the mast were flickering at best so I knew I did some damage. I decided I would just figure it out and go out for an overnight anyway. Fortunately I had enough tools to patch things together at anchor before sunset to have a anchor and deck light for the night. It made the trip more interesting and fun.

Moral of the story: Take all the tools that I have ever used to do anything on the boat including extra wire, connectors and little butane torch. Even on these little boats for just an overnight, the lack of over preparation can lead to some disappointment and premature trip ending

Feel free to contribute

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Always always always hold onto your halyards when unhooking them from the mast. Watching a halyard zoom to the mast head is heartbreaking. Unstepping a just tuned rig with sails in the cockpit, and every ready to go means pretty much setting up the boat twice.

Ask me how I know.......

Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
I had that happen also but the boat yard let me use a very thin piece of molding with a nail in the end to retrieve it. Might be worth keeping a few 8 foot pieces around that can be duct taped together.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
That's why this sailor always ties his down haul lines to the halyard or main sail shackles when the sails are off the boat. Losing a halyard up the mast hasn't happened to me yet but the peace of mind is well worth a few seconds tying a knot in a line. It seems that Murphy guy is always hanging around the boat some where......