New

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2013
Cal 2-25 aka 25 MKII Portsmouth
Hi folks. I'm new here. Have a CAL 25. We have our first race tomorrow and I'm looking for some practical advice. I'm a bit worried that we will look like the new kids in the aerobics class going one way when the rest of the class is going the other. Thanks.

Ray T

Jan 24, 2008
Hunter 216 West End - Seven Lakes
Try following the majority of the boats. You probably won't win but you will at least find out whats going on. Thats how I started my racing career when I was in my thirty's I then went on to many successes. I am now seventy five and still racing. Good luck and don't get discouraged. If you work at it you can have success. Ray

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I'm a bit worried that we will look like the new kids in the aerobics class going one way when the rest of the class is going the other.
Even that is OK, it's called "breaking tack" and you can always claim you did it for "clean air" or you thought you saw a little more "pressure" (wind) over there. Usually a bold move if successful or a "what were you thinking?" if not.

Aug 10, 2013
Thanks for the advice. It was a bad day: wind was somewhere other than the course. Took three shots to hit the first pin.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Our first race with me and the Admiral only, we arrived five minutes late to the start line and then proceeded to make four tacks at the start line trying to get lined out. So the fleet took off on starboard but we took off on port. Which was tactically the correct answer although we didn't know it at the time. We ended the race in second place but finished third on adjustments.

We did much better this weekend. First across the line and we never looked back. Waiting to see if the 22 footer adjusts out ahead of us or not.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Wayne, good for you. Great feeling. I believe the correct term is "corrected" rather than adjusted.

Aug 10, 2013
Not to be deterred we're going out Tuesday night, and we are entered for 2 pursuit races.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Although you are correct, Stu

Wayne, good for you. Great feeling. I believe the correct term is "corrected" rather than adjusted.
The guy doing the corrections is the second place boat. So ADJUSTED seems to me to be the right term. Anyway, that's the one I use just to get to him a little. :D

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I understand the humor! :) Good one.

The guys doing the corrections, however, can be what eventually is the first place boat, since in PHRF, everyone does the correction (usually done by the RC).

Status
Not open for further replies.