New Yamaha 37 owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2009
Yamaha 25, 33, 37 San Diego
Dear group:

I am the new lucky owner of a great Yamaha 37 previously owned and lovingly cared for by Mr. Russ Sena.

I plan and hope to upgrade and maintain this boat in as good a shape or better than the legacy left by the previous owner.

I had the opportunity to sail the boat south from Dana Point to San Diego last weekend and even though the wind was on the nose and seas were not the freindliest, the boat handled great.

I specifically would like to have help with cockpit latches as these are in need of replacing, and any other leads for parts that the group may have.

I will be sharing photos and stories of our progress.

By the way, I am a die hard Yamaholic. This is my fourth Yamaha; 2 25's, a 33, aand now the 37. Long live Yamaha.

Best regards,

Ed Serra
Yamaha 37
Sarah V

Mar 3, 2008
Yamaha Y-36 Sandusky, Ohio
Congrats on finally getting your boat, how about some pictures of the inside, I've never seen the inside of the 37?

Thanks and good luck!
-Bob

Jun 20, 2009
Congrats on finally getting your boat, how about some pictures of the inside, I've never seen the inside of the 37?

Thanks and good luck!
-Bob
Bob:

Thank you for the good wishes, I am glad to see you still have your 36.

I will be posting pictures in the next few days to show the group and also document the upgrades.

For straters, I have some electrical and plumbing to do. One upgrade is a tank monitoring system for water and waste. I am thinking of not doing the fuel since it would need mechanical installation of the sender unit.

I also have a linear drive autopilot comming soon.

Want to get the diesel central heater working.

Will install a odor control system in the head.

All brightwork below and above to be done.

Sole to be refinished.

Upholstering complete job, foam and fabric. Still looking for fabric.

These will keep me busy for the rest of this year.

Next year install a central heat and cooling system.

Probably new sails next.

Some running rinning to be changed along the way as well as various canvas covers.

I would like to contact Japan and see what it takes for new locker latches.

But this boat sails like a dream....

Regards,

Ed Serra
Sarah V
Yamaha 37

Mar 3, 2008
What Are The Differences

Ed,

Since you know the Y36 what is different about the Y37? It's only 12 inches longer, is the inside the same as the 36 but with a bigger bathroom or ?

Would love to see a picture of the inside

-Bob

Jun 20, 2009
Ed,

Since you know the Y36 what is different about the Y37? It's only 12 inches longer, is the inside the same as the 36 but with a bigger bathroom or ?

Would love to see a picture of the inside

-Bob
Hi Bob:

The 37 is the same inteior layout. Nav station to port, aft berth with openning port, galley to starbord, satee, dinette with seat, larger head and larger v-berth. There are also many differences in the joinery and appointments. It shows the 37 was a made-to-order boat. The attention to detail is much higher and materials used higher end. Tons of storage, 3 hanging lockers plus a wet locker. Large refrigerator/freezer. The engine is under the companionway.

Rigging is stout, 5/8 lower shrouds, large hardware, 1" diameter stainless steel rods tie the chainplates which are built-in to the hull's knee (4 of them) the winches have built-in backup plates. 7 winches. primaries are Lewmar 48 three speed. Nice quadrant, large ground tackle storage and big Maxwel windlass.

The dinette is permanently mounted. The satee becomes a double bed.

There are not enough openning ports on this design. When I replace the side glass, I will consider making openning inserts in the larger two in the same style old Beneteau's had them.

The boat is very nimble and sails fast.

By the way, does anyone know if there are replacements of the cockpit locker latches...???

I will start taking photos.

Regards,

Ed Serra
Sarah V
Yamaha 37

Aug 3, 2005
- - Seattle
Cockpit latches

Greetings,

I got my new latches from the Yamaha factory. The info is on the website: yamahasailboats.org

I also got new hinges for the little transparent hatch over the salon table. I sent a picture of the hinge, with a meter stick next to it, and had a quote in a day or so. They only used one size of cockpit latch for all the models, so all I needed to do was ask for them. How I got my first couple is a story longer than I have patience to write about on a keyboard, but the short story is that's why I started the website.

After subbing out the construction of their boats, Yamaha has taken the production of their boats back in-house, according to the latest rumor.

Congratulations--I've seen that boat, and it's a beauty.

Regards,
Bob

Jun 20, 2009
Greetings,

I got my new latches from the Yamaha factory. The info is on the website: yamahasailboats.org

I also got new hinges for the little transparent hatch over the salon table. I sent a picture of the hinge, with a meter stick next to it, and had a quote in a day or so. They only used one size of cockpit latch for all the models, so all I needed to do was ask for them. How I got my first couple is a story longer than I have patience to write about on a keyboard, but the short story is that's why I started the website.

After subbing out the construction of their boats, Yamaha has taken the production of their boats back in-house, according to the latest rumor.

Congratulations--I've seen that boat, and it's a beauty.

Regards,
Bob

Thank you Bob, Russ said he had met you some time ago.

Russ had new hinges made for the small hatch you mentioned and I just placed a new gasket on it. I am going to try and replace the sheaves on the Main Traveler end blocks as well. Two of them are broken. I am sure there will be other proprietary items I will come up with.

The biggest jobs I have ahead of me are refinishing the brightwork below and new cushions and upholstery.

Anyone change the old vinyl laminate on the galley countertops or install a tank monitoring system?

All the best,

Ed

Mar 3, 2008
New Counter top and cushions

Hey Ed, funny you should ask:) I just installed Formica on the counter top, both shelves above the counter and the vanity lids in the aft cabin. The worst part was removing and re-installing the teak edge on the counter top because you can not find that stuff in that size, all they sell is the 1-7/8" and the stuff on these boats is over 2" wide. I made a new counter top out of 5/8" marine plywood but if I had it to do over again I would have just installed the Formica over the existing counter and saved myself a ton of extra work. If you lightly sand the yellow contact paper that is on there you can glue the new stuff right over it like I did with the rest of the covers, lids etc.... It seemed like I had a lot of parts around the shop this winter and I wondered if I was going to get it all back together! I put the boat in the water last Friday and am almost totally done with my projects. I also rebuilt the cabinet and installed a much needed microwave.

For the cushions I found a guy on Ebay who sells foam so I ordered all new foam from him and re-stuffed all my covers but they will need replaced sooner or later. Some of the zippers were corroded and the pulls fell off so had to hand sew them back together but looks good and feels even better. Cut one big one for the v-birth so I don't feel those gaps in the old cushions.

http://stores.ebay.com/Ricks-Foam-Products

This guy will ship it right to your front door real nice and all you need is an electric turkey knife to cut it. I had to make some wood forms for the seat backs so that I could cut them all the same but they look good and feel GREAT!! Mine were the original foam and they had a smell to them that I just can't describe, drove my wife CRAZY!

I think I attached a photo of the counter top, the piece over the fridge I made from a rough cut piece of teak I bought on Ebay, they sell boards individually so I just bought a 7/8" thick x 9"wide x 5'long and cut what I need and get out the router.

Good luck!
-Bob

Attachments

Jun 20, 2009
Hi Bob:

Your counters look great! I think I will do ours as soon as I get some of the other projects done. I have to put a new mast boot, replace 3 electrical connectors in front of the mast, rebuild the head, ad a charcoal filter to the vent, install tank monitor system, replace 2 cabin fans, refinish all interior brightwork, replace plexy side windows, replace all cushions foam and upholstery, refinish sole, treat deck gelcoat with sealer protectant, wax hull, treat all aluminum surfaces with Everbrite, install autopilot, fix or replace diesel heater (I want to replace it with an AC unit) and I have a 4" scratch on the hull that I would like to repair with gelcoat material.

Just a small list, hah?

Russ is going to visit in the next couple of weeks. I am looking forward to taking him out on the bay.

Have you had any gelcoat repairs done? The color of the hull is a greenish white. May prove hard to match...

Enjoy the weekend!

Regards,

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.