New Whisker Pole - Mast Ring Location

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I've been looking for a whisker pole for a while, placed an ad at our club and now I'm the 'proud' owner of a lightly used 7'-15' Forespar pole. Included are the mast ring and the stanchion mounts, all for $200!! I have the 135 genoa that came new with the boat, hopefully some one can tell me the best height to mount the ring. I understand that different sails would require different heights, and that a track and adjustable ring would be best, but I'm not willing to lay out the $$$ for this.

Cheers
dj

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Your pole should be level when deployed. So on the mast where the clew is held level with the pole attached. Kinda difficult to lay out but, ask someone to help so they can "pole out" the sail and you can get a look and see where to match it. I wouldn't install a track for a whisker pole, that's more spinnaker.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Agree...clew height. If you purchase a different size head sail install a second ring on the mast.

Last edited:

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I agree that the height should be the clew height, but my boat is on the hard, no sail on it to look at. I was hoping someone with a C310 and the same head sail could help me out. I launch in a couple of weeks and can wait until I'm in the water to install the ring, but I could also install now. Thanks for all responses.
Cheers
dj

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Someone else's 135 might be cut with a higher or lower clew height.