new(used) sails for Hunter 34 (with a shortened mast?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2006
Hunter 34 Bayou Chico - Pensacola
I'm hoping to save some $ by going with a used sail for our Hunter 34 and I'm wondering how the B&R rig comes into the equation. Since the rig keeps the mast in a permanently arched condition it seems important that I get a sail that takes that into consideration. Wouldn't a sail made for a straight mast be too far out of shape to sail correctly on the B&R rig? What other boats (Catalina, Beneteau?) use the B&R rig and would provide a suitable sail for the H34? I'm also considering shortening the mast a couple of feet to clear some of the ICW bridges on the northern Gulf and would value advice/instructions from anyone who has done this.

Nov 24, 2007
hunter 34 venice
I can't speak to the issue of shortenning the mast since I have no experience with altering a rig. However, I do have some recent experience with applying a mainsail designed for another rig to the B&R rig. The prebend in the B&R makes the alien sail a little flatter but it sets just beatifully. The sail I bought was a North sail made for a C&C 36 and other than removing the insignias and sail numbers it required no further alterations for a perfect fit.
Dave

Jun 21, 2004
Hunter 34 Cape Coral, Florida
I have a H34 and I used a main from an Ericson 35 and it has excellent shape on the B&R. No way I would try to shorten the mast. Better off getting a different boat. Just my opinion. Good luck. Happy sailing.
Mel
S/V Sea Puppy

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Have you considered a differt boat. NEW RIGGING DIFFERENT SAIL? PROBABLY $5-7K REDUCTION IN VALUE.

Does not make much sense.

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Mickey...

Check out the Bacon web site below (located in Annapolis)...they have a calculator to help you find a sail for your boat, then check out their inventory of sails that may fit for condition, availability, and price...

http://www.baconsails.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.