New Transducer Install - Splitting Hairs?

Sep 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Oolagah
Long story short - I'm in the process of replacing an inoperable Garmin Striker, paired with an unsightly transducer hung off of the stern. The Striker is being upgraded to an Echomap Plus and my intent was (is) to install the new transducer in-hull, located in the forward hull embedded in either Plumbers Putty or, the Garmin Foam Kayak Mount. When I started this project, I found this:
IMG_6381.JPG
How should I deal with these stray fiberglass strands? Place a thin coat of epoxy over the strands or just cut them off?

This is an older Airmar transducer - and it is ideally located in a "prepped area" of the forward hull. By "prepped area" I mean it (the gelcoat) is sanded down and the old transducer was mounted to the hull with a "thin brown putty" which wouldn't budge until the application of DeBond Marine Formula. After I removed the old transducer and cleaned the area, I have a few strands of bare fiberglass mat showing:

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Use some sandpaper to remove the fibers, or just leave them if they aren't hurting anything.

The important consideration with an in-hull transducer is avoiding air bubbles between the hull and the transducers. People have tried all different kinds of stuff to attach the transducer. Plumber's putty might work, not sure how adhesive it will be. There is also a putty electricians use to seal wires that enter a house. Either of them no doubt be less expensive than a Garmin product and easy to remove if they don't work.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Try a large blob of silicone sealant which is squeezed out against the hull and has no bubbles. Helped a friend with his in this manner and it's still going strong years later.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Use the plumbers putty. It's easier to clean up in a few years when you upgrade electronics again. Silicone is just a pain to clean in that tight little area in the bow.