New Toy

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I love a challenge. I enjoy small boats. No it was WINE...
Goes well with the smell of Varnish.
Beer just clashes...

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Thanks Will - that’s the thread I got the boat from. Sounds like they made lots of changes over the years of production. Mine is s two piece wooden mast and funky tiller attachment. It even came with a set of oars that look like they need to grow 1-2’ before they would be useful on the boat. I have to reverse a few “improvements” to the rigging from some non-sailing PO ( horn cleat for main sheet for example).

That sail package above was offered at 7.5x what I paid for whole thing. The advantage of a 2 piece mast is all rigging will slide under thwart and mast supports for transportation. I’ve pulled these last two parts and have rough sanded them for varnish. The gunnels are going to be tough to sand and finish. Might resort to a cleaner/brighter.

Les
I'd try a RO sander on the gunwales. The outside - top - and inside face would all be fair game for 80 grit in a powerful sander. Just keep the machine moving carefully and you can achieve a flatter surface. The tedious inner stuff would have to done by hand and or with a remover/brightener. Those faces won't show as well so I wouldn't spend a lot of time.

If you're going to use it as a tender, even temporarily, will you put some fender material on the rails?

It's a nice dinghy and at that length should be a very nice rowing or sailing boat.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
@TomY I really don’t have any plans past restoring it and sailing on a local lake. I’de have to tow it as it’s too heavy for David’s and too big for the fore deck. If I do take it as a dinghy, I’ll go south first sand test how it does in closed water.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Les, If it is just transport, we could see if it fit on my fore-deck. But you would not have the trailer on Lopez.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Outfit the trailer with these babies and you can tow boat AND trailer behind Mahalo.

-Will (Dragonfly)