New toy alert! For those who like to watch their boat/harbor from away.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I picked up a Reolink Go 4G LTE Mobile Outdoor/Indoor Battery/Solar Powered Security Camera. Added a T-mobile SIM for $10 plus $10/month. It only uses bandwidth when you're watching it live, or when it's capturing motion. You can mount it anywhere in or on the boat and get an alert when motion is detected, or just open the app to check on things in 1080p video.
This is the interior of my boat today. It's monochrome because it's in IR mode. The boat is on the hard under a winter cover, and if someone enters I'll get a photo of their face and video plus an alert. It uses a USB power cord, and I'm powering it from the house bank, which is solar-maintained.
I also have a BoatCommand system to monitor the bilge pumps/battery and receive geo-fencing alerts.
reolink IR.PNG

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Last year, our marina manager called us and told us our boat was sinking in its slip. We were 3 hours away, and had just left it earlier, closed all the thru hulls and headed home. As I scrambled to get hold of a salvage company, my wife told me to call them back...couldn't believe it was our boat. It wasn't. A case of mistaken identity.

After that fiasco, I installed a web cam inside the boat (Wyze brand). It uses the free marina wifi (they owe me one for the near heart attack). Now if they call me again, I can see how high the water really is inside the boat. Seriously though, I like being able to check on it when we're away.

Jul 14, 2022
Catalina 25 Wing 5753 Portland, OR
I picked up a Reolink Go 4G LTE Mobile Outdoor/Indoor Battery/Solar Powered Security Camera. Added a T-mobile SIM for $10 plus $10/month
How has this been for you? I'm currently looking for something similar, although mainly to just keep an eye on the temperature and state of the bilge. I'm surprised there isn't something out for just a phone, since you can get a cheap one for 50 bucks these days, and the connectivity/photo storage problem is already solved.

the free marina wifi
My marina claims I'd need an external antenna, alas. Not quite ready to commit to that since I'm not planning to stay there, but stuck with that restriction (need something that sends over mobile) for now.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
m surprised there isn't something out for just a phone, since you can get a cheap one for 50 bucks these days, and the connectivity/photo storage problem is already solved.
There is. There has been a few android apps over the years.

A Raspberry Pi 4 is a great option IMO because it can be useful for many things. A low powered in boat server if you will.

Jul 14, 2022
There has been a few android apps over the years.
The only ones I've found really want to stream video at 4k or offer "subscriptions", mainly because they rely on 3rd party APIs to deliver that video somewhere accessible. :/

A Raspberry Pi
What does that get me that the phone itself doesn't? :) It still needs connectivity and a camera.

I literally need something that will do a) take photo b) upload to GoogCloud on a cronjob timer, but apparently this is not anything anyone else needs on an android. :)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The only ones I've found really want to stream video at 4k or offer "subscriptions", mainly because they rely on 3rd party APIs to deliver that video somewhere accessible. :/
Here's a good option that may fit your needs. https://guardianproject.github.io/haven/
(Most of the cool android stuff isn't on the google play store, but this one is)

What does that get me that the phone itself doesn't? :) It still needs connectivity and a camera.
It could do everything from being a video or audio server, autopilot controller, could make your boat into a robot.. just need the skills to get it done. It has hardware full interface capabilities, unlike a phone. NerdBoat ! :cool:

Jul 14, 2022
just need the skills time to get it done (and more time to keep it going)
Fixed that a bit. I've ran quite a few servers in my time and I just ... don't have the time for it. It's also my dayjob, so when I get on the boat I don't really want to do that stuff AT ALL. :p

I'll check out that app, thanks! I also found Open Camera which MAY do what I'm asking for, researching its options now.

Jul 14, 2022
A Raspberry Pi 4 is a great option IMO
Welp, after a bit more research this does look to be the simplest way to go. Cronjob + small python script for capture and upload and Bob's your uncle.

Now the only problem is to find a Pi. They're pretty sparse, it seems.

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
I use a Wyze camera on mine as well. It's outside on the cabin roof when the boat is on the mooring ball. I can see the cockpit, anyone coming onboard, and what way the wind is coming from, etc. The boat is really only 15 minutes away, but I like the peace of mind.