New tool :)

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Spent three years in the Navy as a J79 jet engine mechanic and trouble shooter. That tool brings back many fond memories safety wiring all of the machine screws and bolts that made the J79 operate.
Brings back lots of memories safety wiring components on P2’s; two radials + two J 34s. Six years as ADJ in VP94 “Crawfishers” ASW squadron, NAS New Orleans. Long time ago!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
And all the Electronic black boxes inside the plane. Ahhh the safety wire twist. What a dance.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Indeed, as mentioned above, the "drill steady" is a grounding clamp available at any hardware store for ~$5. Sure, it's got screws instead of thumbscrews and you need to drill the hole in the top.

But $5 is better than $57.

I used the grounding clamp for my solar connections to my bimini. Worked fine.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I just replaced a saddle valve on one of my water pipes in my house…remove the valve guts and I think you have a $57 drill gizmo for about $6.

1642032724449.png

Too bad I threw that first one away... I am waiting for another Sharkbite fitting to replace another saddle valve…I will keep that one and see if it works.

Greg

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Here's the link to the tool Justin posted about
9 in. Safety Wire Twisting Pliers

Here's something a bit more practical than an overpriced grounding clamp. It's the Milescraft Drillmate. It was a big help when I was modifying my trailer. It can be used at different angles and on pipe. Great tool although I'd recommend some lubricant on the slides. Harbor Frieght also has their own version of this
1642206698308.png

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021
Catalina, Tanzer C 22, 16 10910 Starr SC
I used the grounding clamp for my solar connections to my bimini. Worked fine.
Can you show a picture of that? I just got a solar setup for my boat still trying to figure out the best way to attach it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Here's the link to the tool Justin posted about
9 in. Safety Wire Twisting Pliers

Here's something a bit more practical than an overpriced grounding clamp. It's the Milescraft Drillmate. It was a big help when I was modifying my trailer. It can be used at different angles and on pipe. Great tool although I'd recommend some lubricant on the slides. Harbor Frieght also has their own version of this
View attachment 201763
I have one of these. I`ve really only used it on wood projects. Never thought about it for tubing! :wink:

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Yup, F4H. Spent the first cruise on the flight deck as a Plane Captain (grunt) on the Kitty Hawk. The second cruise was back in the fantail working on the J79. Nice engine, but the absolute worst part was replacing the fuel nozzle located in the six o'clock position of the engine. It was amazing to operate the engine on the test stand at maximum thrust plus afterburner with you standing right at it looking for any signs of leaks or problems and yet it was cool to the touch, at least in front of the afterburner.

I also remember replacing a CSD (constant speed generator) on the flight deck in the middle of the night by myself. That big sucker had to weigh at least 60 pounds or more.

One of the best experiences was taking the plane out to the test ramp for a post maintenance power check. All the routine work was done, but the final step was a live test. You towed the plane out to the test site and tied down the plane to the deck with this large cable, hooked up the starter tractor, climbed into and closed the cockpit canopy then started each engine. I was required to run both engines through a series of performance tests from idle to maximum thrust and then into afterburner. First, one at a time from idle to full afterburner. Even though the throttle was pushed full forward, it took a bit of time (a few seconds) for the fuel control to bring the engine up to the throttle setting to avoid flameout. Then both engines together. The test required this to be done several times while recording any anomalies. Quite the feeling of all that power. I always wondered what would have happened if I were to just disconnect that tie down cable and take off for home.
My favorite least fond memory is replacing the ACRP ( Armament Control Relay Panel) on a D model at night when it was about 30 degrees and raining.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
This little to-do has been on the back of my mind: Been meaning to safety-wire the hardware on my transmission coupling to help prevent anything from vibrating loose. I have a wire-worthy project or two around the house too.
I haven't used these since my hitch in the Marines over 40 years ago. We safety wired everything to be flightworthy. Bought these at Harbor Freight. I don't need anything fancy for a few jobs. The clerks had never heard of them. I had to Google their site to show them.

View attachment 188828
I have two pairs in my tool box. I was Mr Safety Wire 1983

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I have one of these. I`ve really only used it on wood projects. Never thought about it for tubing! :wink:
There's a notch in the bottom that I assume is for rounded objects. My only gripe with it is the chuck size. I was doing a lot of 1/2" holes in my trailer

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I just replaced a saddle valve on one of my water pipes in my house…remove the valve guts and I think you have a $57 drill gizmo for about $6.

View attachment 201718

Too bad I threw that first one away... I am waiting for another Sharkbite fitting to replace another saddle valve…I will keep that one and see if it works.

Greg
I replaced the second saddle valve today, took the old valve apart and tested it on a piece of 3/4 copper pipe…

kept the bit perfectly aligned on the pipe. I know SS will be harder, but I am throwing the valve in my boat toolbox…great little hack for drilling holes in stanchions and railings.

88AC57D6-D811-42E1-ACFE-8F219B5271AD.jpeg

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is exactly what I thought of the tool. Your hack is just the thing needed when working with pulpit rails.
Punching aluminum to start a drill bit is easy. SS 316 not so much.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Can you show a picture of that? I just got a solar setup for my boat still trying to figure out the best way to attach it.
I don't have a pic, if I remember I'll take one next time I'm down.

Used these:
101367_l.jpg

Mounted on each corner of each panel and screwed through the bimini frame. Fastened through the frame with binding barrels (sex bolts). So basically little sticks poking up through the canvas. I also added some triangulation to the frame and replaced the canvas straps with another piece of stainless tubing.