new to us 310.....want to convert table to sleeping berth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
I am surprised that catalina did not make the cabin table convertable to a sleeping berth. I was thinking about taking on this project for the long winter months. Has anyone done this yet so I do not have to re-invent the wheel?

My initial thought was to buy another pedistal and cut it to the lower lenght, then either add some folding legs for support or maybe install some wood support rails along the edges of the seats. Hopefully I can use the seat cushions from the starboard seat but have not tried yet to see if they fit.

Thoughts?

Matt
'01 Catalina 310
MD

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Re: new to us 310.....want to convert table to sleeping bert

Welcome to your 310 World! I also just spent my first summer with my 01' 310. Great Boat... Go below and read the posts in "Make your bed" and "Where do you sleep" you will find some pretty good discussion on this Matt.

Welcome - Russ

Sep 9, 2005
Catalina 310 Sandusky, OH

Matt:
I have a '00 310 and we have used the table area as a sleeping berth a couple of times. Our boat (hull #12) came with a full sized table that is stored on the starboard side of the aft berth. It also came with a short pedestal that lowers the table. The cushion from the stbd. seat moves over on top of the table to fill in the gap. The single pedestal seems to provide enough support, at least for my son (6'0", 175 lbs).

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
thanks, that is good info. My daughter will be using it and she is only 6. it sounds like I need to get another pedestal and cut it to size.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ

Last year I posted a similar message and was told to contact nssailing@cableone.net. He wrote an article in Mainsheet that outlined a great way of doing it. He invited anyone who wanted the plans to contact him and thanks to a member of this forum, I was able to get in touch and had the plans in a few days. Give him a try and in the meantime I will try to find the plans.

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA

thanks, I sent an email to him.

Aug 24, 2009

When the responce comes, is there some place it can be posted so we all don't have to bother him with emails - I would like the details also.

Thanks Russ

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
response from Roger "
Yes that is true. I did an article for the C310 a few years ago. I also did a mod to the helm for a chair.
Attached is a pdf file of both mods. I also attached the photos
See if this is helpful to you. "
I will attempt to post the PDF file.

Attachments

Aug 24, 2009

Thank you!

Mar 1, 2012
Catalina 310 Rock Hall, MD
Long Story said:
When the responce comes, is there some place it can be posted so we all don't have to bother him with emails - I would like the details also.

Thanks Russ
Just curious if the PDF was posted?

Jan 23, 2012
catalina 310 Lake Macquarie
Factory option

Our 2001 Hull No.111 has a factory supplied shorter table post and timber supports on the bulkhead for the lowered table. Also infill cushions in the original blue ultraleather. We haven't used it but since the boat spent its first few years in charter service on Pittwater I'm sure it works. I'll get some pictures when next on the boat.

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
Our 2001 Hull No.111 has a factory supplied shorter table post and timber supports on the bulkhead for the lowered table. Also infill cushions in the original blue ultraleather. We haven't used it but since the boat spent its first few years in charter service on Pittwater I'm sure it works. I'll get some pictures when next on the boat.

yes, please post pics when you can. I have hull No. 112 and there is no evidence of this on our boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.