New to trailer sailing and need advice on stepping mast

May 7, 2020
Morgan 250 Classic Duluth Harbor
I have sailed a few small boats in my life but not many. This April I purchased a Margan 250 Class (25') with a trailer. Lunching and hauling the boat is not an issue. The boat also came with a gin pole but no instructions. What is the best way to step the mast when trailering? I plan on leaving the boat in the Duluth Harbor most of the time but also want to take it to Lake of the Woods and a few other large lakes in Minnesota.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Put up some pictures of the setup, including the cabin top and the base of the mast. This assumes its set up for it.

May 7, 2020
Mast is 29' 3.5" and the gin pole (homemade) being 10' with a block of wood with pivots. The top of the gin pole has three eye loops and an opening with two rollers. The first owner made this and used for years. The second never used it and I'm the 3rd owner. Attached pics.
part0(1).jpg
part0001(2).jpg
part0002.jpg
part0005(1).jpg

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
It looks like it was designed to work off the trailer. My original set up worked that way. I attached a block and tackle to the trailer tongue and then I had a gin pole with two eye bolt at the top, fore and aft. The block and tackle attached to one eye bolt and the end of the forestay attached to the other. The bottom of my gin pole pivots on unused holes on the front of the mast foot bracket.

I've since changed it so that the block and tackle attaches to the forestay bracket on the foredeck, and I added removable baby stays to the mast. That way, I can step and de-step the mast while I'm on the water. The launches I usually go to are frequented by power boaters and I didn't like being in the way all the time when I rigged. Now I pull and launch just like a power boat, and step the mast as I'm motoring away. I made a custom fitting on the top of the gin pole that hooks onto the turnbuckle at the bottom of the forestay. So the forestay starts out attached to the block and tackle, and then it's attached to both the block and tackle and the deck fitting, and then I disconnect the block and tackle and gin pole. Solid control of the mast at all times.

One of these days I'll post some pictures of my system.

May 7, 2020
Thank you the description. Makes sense to how this setup might have worked. Catalina bought Morgan and I wonder how similar the rigging are between the 25's. I keep hearing how heavy Morgan mast and rigging are compared to same size boats. This is why the last own wouldn't use the gin pole. I want the freedom to move around.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
I'm sure Dave will give you some good ideas about a mast raising system and explain the benefits and gochas that you might run into. Just off hand I would not recommend trying to use the system that came with your boat as it looks to have missing and rusted up parts also the guy that designed it isn't here to show you how to properly set it up. I think it is a mistake to try to use the trailer winch to raise the gin pole and mast because if you ever decide you want to raise or lower the mast while on the water it's really hard to find a place to put the trailer when you're not using it.(there is however a post somewhere on this site where somebody reported that they did launch the boat and took the trailer with them:)) You also might consider something other than a jin pole as do the British that use A-frames to get under bridges. Also if you're going to use temporary guy wires to anchor a jin pole (often called baby stays) you should consider Dyneema fiber line or similar.

May 7, 2020
Thank you for the input. Tried with a buddy to use the one with the boat and decided it was a bad idea. Used the spinnaker pole and "baby stays" and it worked better. Didn't raise the mast completely but wanted to test the system. Next idea is use his tow truck to winch it up. If he boom a semi trailer, he can raise/lower a mast. Bit over kill and dependent on someone else.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You have to be careful so the mast does not sway sideways until the upper shroud takes over to prevent that from happening.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
You have to be careful so the mast does not sway sideways until the upper shroud takes over to prevent that from happening.
Which is in that last, what, 30 degrees of the arc? Unsupported is akin to breakable.