New to the site

Apr 27, 2019
Luger Seabreeze 16 Conneaut
Hello there I am new to the site. I have been reading a lot of the threads and have been extremely intrigued. I am not so new with sailing as I have learned to sail with the boy scouts however my husband is. Ever since I have learned to sail I have wanted a sailing dinghy and I finally got one last year, a luger seabreeze 16... I was so excited to have it that all I wanted to do last summer was sail. Unfortunately my husband doesn't really seem to be interested in learning the ropes with me (as its been so long since I have learned and I learned on a boat that is a lot smaller than what I have now) so I wind up single handing the boat almost all of the time. Any ideas to get him more interested? All he really wants to do is sit there and complain about the boom coming too close to his head if he doesn't duck down far enough.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Let him steer a bit while you fiddle with sails and stuff.. Once he gets to feel the way the wind moves the boat and how he can help with making it go, he is likely to get the bug..
Welcome Aboard !

Apr 27, 2019
Let him steer a bit while you fiddle with sails and stuff.. Once he gets to feel the way the wind moves the boat and how he can help with making it go, he is likely to get the bug..
Welcome Aboard !
I have tried... I motor away from the ramp before I raise the mainsail and have him keeping us from hitting things.. He loves being on the water just not the sailing part I guess.

Apr 27, 2019
Local "Adult Learn To Sail" program, perhaps?
There is a small "Yacht" club not too far from here that I kind of wanted to join. I think it was geared more for youth as far as classes go but I am not against that lol. I'm just not sure the membership is in the budget.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Any ideas to get him more interested? All he really wants to do is sit there and complain about the boom coming too close to his head if he doesn't duck down far enough.
Welcome aboard.
Get a bigger boat is altogether too premature...:):):)
Enjoy that he goes out with you at all.
Not a control freak, is he? I have a friend who won't even get novacaine for a toothache 'cuz he's not in control. Doesn't like to fly either, 'cuz he's not driving.
Takes all kinds. :)
Just kiddin'.
Get him a copy of Sailing for Dummies.
It is a great book.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I have tried... I motor away from the ramp before I raise the mainsail and have him keeping us from hitting things.. He loves being on the water just not the sailing part I guess.
Welcome aboard! Maybe let him take the boat out and play with it. He just might have fun and then feel good about sharing it with you.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Encourage him by telling him there are a large number of sailors who would likely trade places with him. ;)

Seriously though. hanging out with other sailors and a sail program may help a lot. The social aspect adds another aspect to the enjoyment of the sport. We love our sailing club. Some are VERY cheap to join.

I am continually amazed at how some crews work together. Each person getting something different out of it.

Maybe it's the boat choice ? My spouse hated sailing until a ride, flying a hull, on a Hobie 16. It may just take time. Since then, we both took a bunch of classes, got certified, and bareboat charter, in addition to owning boats.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019
Well thank you all for your suggestions. I talked to him about it a little bit ago and kinda got him somewhat interested.... pretty much said it was a safety issue (which it is) and also told him that I did not want him to not enjoy it as much as me.

Apr 27, 2019
Maybe it's the boat choice ? My spouse hated sailing until a ride, flying a hull, on a Hobie 16. It may just take time. Since then, we both took a bunch of classes, got certified, and bareboat charter, in addition to owning boats.
I think that is quite likely. I love the boat but I do find it a bit awkward at times (probably because I am used to something more like a sunfish much smaller in size and without the cabin).

Apr 27, 2019
Welcome aboard.
Get a bigger boat is altogether too premature...:):):)
Enjoy that he goes out with you at all.
Not a control freak, is he? I have a friend who won't even get novacaine for a toothache 'cuz he's not in control. Doesn't like to fly either, 'cuz he's not driving.
Takes all kinds. :)
Just kiddin'.
Get him a copy of Sailing for Dummies.
It is a great book.
No not entirely. We have rented a couple pontoon boats too and he just seems to want to sit back and relax on those too lol. And I love the fact that he wants to go out with me.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
and also told him that I did not want him to not enjoy it as much as me.
The safety issue or perception of safety IS an issue with some people. We took a course on small day sailors (laser 2 and Lasers), and after intentionally capsizing them, with life jackets on, people got a lot more confidence, and understanding of the real risks. Many people think the boat simply heeling is dangerous.... it's not.

I spent a day out with my buddy on our 16' dinghy. I explained what to expect, and how to deal with it. We then intentionally capsized it. By the end of the day he had no fear of capsizing. Of course you don't want to capsize bigger boats, but once the understanding of what is actually dangerous.. vs what "feels" dangerous, kicks in.... it usually all good.

As for you both enjoying it to the same level ? May not happen. My wife and I love it for different reasons and to different amounts. Same goes for the 2 guys in the slip next to us. The point is you both enjoying it enough in your own way.

Edit: Btw that boat looks kinda cool. I have never seen one.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019
The safety issue or perception of safety IS an issue with some people. We took a course on small day sailors (laser 2 and Lasers), and after intentionally capsizing them, with life jackets on, people got a lot more confidence, and understanding of the real risks. Many people think the boat simply heeling is dangerous.... it's not.

As for you both enjoying it to the same level ? May not happen. My wife and I love it for different reasons and to different amounts. Same goes for the 2 guys in the slip next to us. The point is you both enjoying it enough in your own way.
Yes you are right ( I wanted to capsize this boat but it is almost entirely impossible we can pretty much sit on the same side of whatever tack we are on and still not flip it over its just quite nerve racking for the both of us lol) however I don't care why he enjoys it I just want him to enjoy it almost as much as me. I understand every one loves sailing and just boats in general for different reasons. I guess I just don't want him to feel left out.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Maybe with time and perhaps controlling the tiller while you are sailing he will get the bug.
What types of things does he like. Besides you. Sometimes it is speed and a sense of danger that causes a person to want to sail. Sometimes it ie the having lunch with a special person in a private bay. It takes time and is different for everyone.

Apr 27, 2019
Maybe with time and perhaps controlling the tiller while you are sailing he will get the bug.
What types of things does he like. Besides you. Sometimes it is speed and a sense of danger that causes a person to want to sail. Sometimes it ie the having lunch with a special person in a private bay. It takes time and is different for everyone.
Just being on the water. I asked him why he doesn't want to learn and he said it was too much work lol. I know one reason is that he does not want to get hit with the boom which I hope to remedy that issue this summer by raising the stepping block a few inches. (hopefully that will make raising the mast easier too)

Apr 27, 2019
Experience will cure that somewhat. Smart sailors never lose respect for actual risks.
Nope all my respect goes to the water (it scares my mom that I go out even on a pontoon boat) and I have the experience on capsizing boats (however fun it was then) I do not wish to do that again unless planned for lol. That is one thing I really like about this boat and if it ever were to capsize it is self righting so there is another positive. I am beginning to think that I may have one of the safest sailing dinghies out there.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Be careful with your changes. The wire stays only have so much length. Boats are designed to be stable. Changing the wrong thing can change this.

Learning to duck when the sail is crossing the boat is not a difficult thing to learn. Give him clues not surprises. Call out Tacking, Helms a Lee. It will give all your crew warning that the boat is changing course and things like the boom are going to move. You might even require the crew to repeat the command so you know they heard the command.

Nice boat. I have over nighted in a boat that size numerous times. It is like camping but on the water.

Apr 27, 2019
Be careful with your changes. The wire stays only have so much length. Boats are designed to be stable. Changing the wrong thing can change this.

Learning to duck when the sail is crossing the boat is not a difficult thing to learn. Give him clues not surprises. Call out Tacking, Helms a Lee. It will give all your crew warning that the boat is changing course and things like the boom are going to move. You might even require the crew to repeat the command so you know they heard the command.

Nice boat. I have over nighted in a boat that size numerous times. It is like camping but on the water.
True... and the overnight is not out of the question just not in the plans... unfortunately we have time constraints on most of our fair weather days.