New to the MacGregor 25 lifestyle

Jun 24, 2020
Macgregor 25 SoCal
I'm happy to say I'm a new convert to the boat life! I'm taking some sailing lessons but I can't wait to get out there on my own.

on my to do list is:
Rebuild trailer
Figure out rigging
Patch holes from old outboard
Remove and paint keel thanks to @justsomeguy's post I'm a little less afraid of that.
fix rotten wood.
Clean the dang boat again.

overall it's in great shape I can't seem to upload pictures to share.
I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions.

Does the Macgregor have a scupper or is that just a very large drain hole in the back? and is there any easy way to inspect that hose I can see some small cracks forming in it but I'm not sure how watertight it is.

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Welcome Lost Hannah!

Sounds like you’ve got a few projects to attend to, but they’re not outrageous. Welcome to sailing “well loved” (old) boats!

Does the Macgregor have a scupper or is that just a very large drain hole in the back? and is there any easy way to inspect that hose I can see some small cracks forming in it but I'm not sure how watertight it is.
The large drain hole in the back of the boat is indeed how “extra” water exits the cockpit. The only way to get to the hose for inspection/replacement is crawling head-first all the way underneath the starboard cockpit seat. I’ve actually replaced it with a radiator hose - strong and lasts forever. The one that was on there (new) was a flex hose - couldn’t maintain its integrity.

Good luck and take pictures if you can. We like to watch...

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Welcome aboard! We anchored next to a Mac 25 last year--looks like a nice boat.

Jun 24, 2020
Macgregor 25 SoCal
IMG_20200620_1050101.jpg

lots of new lumber going into and on the boat. most of the old wood was so rotten and sun damaged that it had to go

20200624_145603.jpg

A little new a lot of old.