New to the Forum, looking for a Challenger

Nov 10, 2014
Having chartered ARIA out of Rockland, ME last summer I am on the lookout for a Challenger or a similar boat. I currently own a 1965 Alberg 30 that I have restored and upgraded considerably. I work as an pipe organ builder so I have access to woodworking and metalworking machinery. I've also been helping to restore the schooner ADVENTURE so I'm not afraid of a project. I live in Gloucester, MA and cruise in Maine in the summer. The Challenger for sale in California would be interesting to me if it weren't so far away.
Any leads appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg Bover

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Hi Greg. I hope you find one. The last listed here was for sale in New Hampshire. I don't know if it has sold. Maybe some one will jump in. Stick around, things are a little slow right now but people show up.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/39923

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
Marguerite, 949V, the boat Tom highlighted has been sold. The Californian one, Fridolf, 949Q, is still for sale:

See: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169&p=585#p585.

I try to keep that up to date to about a month, but sometimes that slips... Boats known to be for sale highlighted red.

One boat worth checking out there is 949Z, latest known name ALARM. I think this is the boat that our forum founder, David, began to restore and then sold. Worth checking in with David as to any up to date intelligence.

Another route might be to research the whereabouts of some of the "missing" boats here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=394

Good luck!

SKraft

Oct 15, 2010
Greg,

There is the 1965 Alden Caravelle, Wind Song for sale right in your own backyard in Salem, MA. for $98,000.00. She is a Poal Molich build with the wooden coach.

She is totally original but in very good shape. Nothing has been added to her so you get to restore her to be totally your own. She is listed by Linda Warren 978-744-7070 at East Coast Yacht Sales and is being stored at Dion's Boat yard.

The Caravelle is a great sailing boat and strongly built.

Scott Kraft
Caravelle 992A Bounding Home

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
Challenger FRIDOLF (949Q) no longer listed at Yachtworld. Sold?