New to Sailing

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
I’d put sailing lessons on a keel boat first on my list. In addition to learning how to sail, this will also give you a chance to use the gear and systems on the training vessel, and to talk over your ideas with the instructor. I would buy the personal stuff (inflatable life jacket, shoes, gloves, etc.) before the lessons.

Assuming you start by daysailing out of your harbor on the Michigan shore, and that the systems on the boat are serviceable, you could easily get by with a charting program and weather app on a smart phone, although you should also have a paper chart of your area. The west end of Lake Erie is not very complicated, so you can enjoy the boat a lot daysailing. The Admiral and I enjoyed daysailing a Rhodes 19 out of Newport, RI, as our first keel boat experience while I was at Navy OCS.

The next big step would be overnighting on the boat. I’d try it at he dock the first time. No need to worry about food, and it’s a good chance to get a feel for “camping” on your boat. If you plan to cruise, you can start with picnic food in a cooler. Cruising from your location means several things:

- sailing to another port on the western shore. Toledo might be fun.
- sailing to a mooring ball in Put-in-Bay on South Bass Island. Lots of stuff to do there, and mooring will give you a feel for anchoring out overnight, without the cost of an anchor. It’s a 30 nm trip, with some good, easy navigating/piloting practice.
- anchoring off the western shore. You can find places to do this while daysailing. Of course, you will need an anchor, and anchor light.

As you gain experience, you will develop your own list of needs and desires for equipment. Then you can buy solutions one by one, and integrate them into your sailing.

Welcome here. And fair winds, and following seas on your new adventures!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@dc volts congrats on the transition from turn the key and get there, to don't have a destination but loving the day on the water in silent pleasure. Many wise words have been written here with advice on which you seek, as you already know I am sure that a boat is pleasure hole in the water in which we dump money into.
With a swing keel (shallow draft vessel) you can find some inexpensive permanent docking, which personally I would recommend, yes trailer sailors need not be dock permanently but you will find as I did many years ago that keeping a boat in the water during the season will lend itself to more use, setting up and knocking down of the rigging each time you want to sail will invariably lend itself to looking at the boat in the driveway as opposed to loading up a cooler and heading out for a sail.
If you don't have inflatable PFD's get at least (2) one for each of you and ensure you purchase the model that have the safety "D Rings" and a couple of safety harnesses. Yes they cost more but you want to be able to clip yourself to the boat in many instances when working on the deck or for that day you get caught in some nasty weather out on the lake.
Hope you get to take her out a couple of time before the season forces us out of the water, September and October brings some nice winds with them, have fun and be safe.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Second vote for lessons. Look for a local instructor, especially at an active club. Doesn't have to be crazy multi certs for starting could just be an intro and then some weekend work. Better yet this winter if you head south to beach area consider looking at lessons in those areas or adjust to a destination that has a chance to take lessons.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
This is one of the best items I have purchased for use on a boat with a tiller a tiller
http://www.wavefrontmarine.com/html/howtobuy.html
TillerClutch Kit

includes a TillerClutch,
Control Line, Mounting Screws, Instructions & Warranty.
See kit choices on right.
(Optional cleats and fairleads sold separately
You can actually buy the Tiller Tamer right here on this site. These people here host this forum for free so I try to buy my misc. stuff here when I can. Plus they are really good about me calling them with questions and the SBC guys here have even run down parts for me that I was having trouble finding.

If you are interested in a tiller tamer, here is the link...

https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?1648

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I mostly agree with @jssailem on waiting a bit before you make any big purchases or upgrades until you have spent some time on your new boat but as mentioned, that can make for a long winter.
Here is my list of a few things you can start looking for or planning. Most have already been mentioned:
Tiller Clutch
ASA 101 Lesson or equivalent keel boat sailing lesson
Inflatable PFD with built in harness
LED Flare Visual Distress Signal instead of flares, which expire after so many years. Here's a link: https://store.marinebeam.com/led-flare-visual-distress-signal-never-buy-flares-again/
Jib downhaul. @Joe suggested it when I got my first boat, a 17'. Great low cost upgrade.

@dlochner listed some good online sites. My favorites are the SBO store (they run the forums), Defender Marine and APSLTD. One not listed is Catalina Direct. They are not owned or associated with Catalina but do specialize in Catalina parts. They are a good source of information and a sole source for some items. Others they just resell so sometimes you can find the parts a little cheaper elsewhere.
Catalina Yachts also sells parts you may not be able to find elsewhere. They also will spend time talking to you on the phone answering questions you may have about your C22 that you cannot find answers to elsewhere.

Welcome and have fun!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@rgranger posted about the Tiller Tamer while I was writing my post. Note that the Tiller Tamer and Tiller Clutch are two different ways to enable you to lock your tiller into a position.
Search the forums to learn which may be preferred and why.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Kloudie,I do agree with you in a sense because we do not have a depth sounder in our trailerable Starwind 223, but a depth sounder is a useful navigation instrument. It provides a point of reference to help verify that your location is correct as determined by a chart plotter or dead reckoning plotting. ...
In my area, where the depth drops off quickly, it is common for people to give their position based on a sighted landmark & a depth. As an example, one might say - I am in 450 feet off of the Breakers, or I am in 120 feet off of the Martini Glass, or I am in 60 feet off of Blowing Rocks. This makes it real easy for others to find you quickly around here. It doesn't work as well in areas where the depth is not a fast & constant drop off.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
When I boated near Boca Raton, I would navigate by Condo outlines, some fisherman actually used pictures of shoreline condo profile to locate their favorite fishing holes, and add depth as the second parameter.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Jacktar instead of “Dead Reckoning” it should be called “Condo Reckoning”.
Works until they build another Condo.

Sep 7, 2018
Chrysler C-22 Battle Creek
Nice lookin boat. And congratulations on dirchin the fuel cans for the world of wind power!
I am still a newb myself. I have a very similar story as yours....I just beat ya to it by a couple months. I am also a Great Lakes sailor. I imagine we are not that far apart, but its easier for me to head west and put in Lake Michigan.
The first good move you made (after purchasing a trailerable boat) is join SBO. I have been here less than a month and have thoroughly enjoyed reading these guys posts. And they have welcomed me just as they do you.
One thing no one has mentioned is: something to control the nauscious effects sailing can have on so many. We are going to try bonine and wrist bracelets. I will have to report back with how well they curb it with the wife cause we have not been out on the water since ordering them.
Happy sailing!

Sep 14, 2014
Pretty much guys, but local bait shops made a lot of money selling strip panorama photos with notes on them to local fisherman.

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
Congratulations! A Cat 22 was our first real sail boat and you'll love yours. We just made the step up to a Catalina 25 but will always have a soft spot in our hearts for the Cat 22. Fortunately we know the new owners ands till get to sail on it.
Catalina Direct is a great source (although a bit pricey) of parts, etc. Since everyone else is being so helpful to you about spending your money, I'll chip in as well:
Tiller tamers and clutches are great but they won't keep you on course for more than a few minutes. You may wish to invest in an auto pilot if you single hand. Not only will it keep you headed into the wind when raising / lowering the sails and dropping the keel but will allow you to sit back and relax and take your time trimming the sails or if you want to step below to grab a cold one or make a quick trip to head.
The first major investment we made was a jib furler. No need to hazard yourself going forward to raise or lower the jib and if the wind picks up, you can partially furl the jib. It's a major investment, but if you're considering new sails you may wish to keep this in mind. Running all halyards back to the cockpit is another wise investment, no need to leave the cockpit.
Somethings else to pay attention to is the swing keel and related hardware, especially the cable, turning ball and the volcano hose. I'm regarded as somewhat anal but I changed mine every year. A leaking volcano hose will sink your boat fast. Also the pivot pin and hanger bracket bolts should be inspected yearly.
We also sail on Lake Erie, out of the Lake Erie Metropark Marina. It's a really nice marina, reasonable and very well maintained. Nice people too, especially on F dock. Keeping your boat in a slip will mean much more sailing time. Once at the boat, we're on the water in 15 minutes.
The Catalina 22 forum is where you want to lurk. Lots of nice, knowledgeable people there.
Good luck with the Cat 22, fair winds...

Tom G

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
my wife wants me to get her a pontoon boat.
Mine too!!
I said sure....
IF we can tow it behind our sailboat!:laugh:

I would suggest finding another Cat 22 owner nearby and see if he would take you out sailing on his.
Listen and Learn.
Then invite him to sail with you and maybe be the Captain too.

Nothing better that another Cat 22 owner's ideas and suggestions.
Jim....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
nauscious effects sailing can have
It is an individual kind of thing. Gets some not others.
One of the things I’ve found that helps is to ask the person who looks a wee bit peaked. Would you like to Man the helm? Steer the boat.
It does two things it gets them out side with a far horizon and it gives them a task to do.

Medicine is available from a doctor. Over the counter medicine is often not successful. Some folk have success with the bands or electrical shock systems.

Sep 17, 2018
Catalina 22 Lake Erie / Western Basin
I actually kept my boat at Lake Erie metro park marina the last few years I owned it.
I was thinking about keeping the sailboat there also, but was worried about when we get low water, it has been really high for a number of years but I remember not to long ago when low water was a real problem. I never really thought about a tiller clutch, in fact I never really heard of one, but it makes sense.
Maybe we can hook up next boating season and you can share some of your “oops, don’t want to do that again” moments.
Thanks to all for the continued encouragement, and tips. I have developed a heck of a chore, and internet search list.

Sep 14, 2014
Don't forget checking the Catalina 22 thread, it is in your wheelhouse (just kidding Cat 22 doesnt have one).