New to sailing, which boat is the perfect Blue Water Boat?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser Portland OR, moored EVERETT WA
Boy have we heard that question before. And the answers are as varied as the sailors who frequent these electronic shores..

Many of our comments have been.. It is not the boat it is the sailor and crew.

I read this article about blue water preparation by owners who want to participate in the "Atlantic Rally for Cruisers". It raised not only the money issues folk spend but some of the comments about what worked and what didn't. I thought it was informative and may help a sailor who has watched a YouTube video and said --- Well they did it why shouldn't I try it....

https://www.yachtingworld.com/sailing-across-atlantic/bluewater-gear-offshore-cruising-essentials-cost-121745

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
That's like asking "What's the perfect career?" or "What's the perfect town in which to raise a family?" Sure, you might get some suggestions, and there are some that are certainly more desirable than others... but the right answer depends on your preferences (budget, crew size and ability, preferred destinations, etc). Which is better, a pickup truck, a 2-seater sports car, or a mini van? Well that depends on whether you're looking to haul lumber, win races, or drive 6 kids around town... right? Are you spending five million? five thousand? Are you looking for new or used? Are you handy and willing to fix something up, or looking for a turnkey boat ready to sail tomorrow? Sailing with a crew of 2? or 8? Looking for speed and thrills? or mellow and comfortable? Pure sailing or lots of motoring too? At sea for a couple days? A couple months? Are you young, fit and able, or older and less physically able? Do you care more about classic beauty/aesthetics, or the latest gadgets and high-tech materials? Sure, your question is an important one for you to find the answer to... but you're going to want to ask about zillion more-specific questions to understand what's best for you. So, not knowing any of your constraints (other than the boat should be blue-water-capable) I'll start by suggesting an "Oyster 1225". ;)

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Never heard of the perfect boat. Not sure if one exists. There are some good ones. Determine what you want in your boat, then go search for the one that best meets your needs towards your intended goals. Some might say ours is the perfect boat, but others will disagree.