New to sailing.... Looking for a first boat..

Jan 25, 2022
AMEL Super mare London
Hi. I have been considering buying a boat to live and travel in.
I have never actually sailed a boat myself but been on quite a few, but I am a fast learner when I am keen.

My budget might be around £25,000, and this is to ensure I have a boat big enough for my needs. Also a back decking area is also a bonus.

Some of boat styles I like are:

Bavaria 34 Holiday
Beneteau first 36
Amel super maramu

I know some of these are like £200k+ but that Bavaria I think around £40k+. Used of course.

Can anyone advise me on some nice boats in the £20/25k region that might give me the same amount of space, looks, feel as the above?

Also, is it best to fly to places like Greece or Croatia for example and buy there?

Thanks for your time.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Brexit has made buying boats outside of the UK much more exciting. If you are just starting out it might be best to look closer to home first. Look on Yachtworld for boats in your price range.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the SBO Forum.

Your choice of boats of a reasonable age (20 years and less), appear beyond defined budget of £25,000.
A quick search only yielded 1 boat that is with in your limits.

At €13,000 it would leave some funds available for deferred maintenance and a little in your pot for cruising.

While this boat happens to be in Croatia, I do not think that will make boats cheaper. Boat pricing is a lot about age and condition. It is often best to be able to see the boat to determine the condition. This happens best (in my experience) with the boat close to home. You can go aboard, inspect and determine if it is the boat for you. Otherwise there is a considerable gamble.

Your budget is one that will likely have a boat smaller than 36 feet and more than 30 plus years. The boat will likely need to be cleaned up and repaired to assure it is seaworthy to meet your sailing needs. If you are going to just park the boat and use it to live-on then the requirements are less. It just needs to be floating and have the space/features that will make it a livable home. Who cares if the sails are good, or the engine runs. It just needs not to leak.

Jan 25, 2022
AMEL Super mare London
@jssailem Thanks. Yes not leaking is a requirement. And I would want to be sea bound in it. Maybe around the UK coast and then who knows. Oh, I would like a boat that is capable of an Atlantic crossing also.

I heard it was cheaper to buy boats in Greece and similar places like Croatia? And yes I would definitely go out first and pay for an inspection.

I have found a few boat mart sites, I am hopeful £20,000 can get me something at least 36ft.

Any other good sites to check?

Oct 22, 2014
Here is some perspective. I bought a 1974 boat that is good as a coastal cruiser her in the Pacific NW. 35 feet. Ok for a solo sailor. A bit tight for 2. 3 really close friends maybe if thinking of being on the boat for more than a weekend. Cost was £4500. I have refitted her and to day invested about £17K. While she is sound and can sail our waters, I still intend to invest another £5K to make her a bit more pretty (i.e. paint and bling). She will be great for me. But when I decide to sell her, I do not expect she will return the financial investment I have made. She will have returned the experiences I wanted her to give me. No price can be put on that.

All that is to say the cost of owning a mature boat is way more in repairs and maintenance than in up front price.

Jan 25, 2022
AMEL Super mare London
@jssailem yes so older boats are more in upkeep. I better do some research on sailboat upkeep costs.
I think I would want a 1985 onwards.
But lots to research for now!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Boat designs vary in between the continents, I would suggest you look closer to home. For starters shore power here in the US is 120V and you folks use 240V. As far as Ocean Crossing capabilities it is the Sailor rather than the boat that crosses Oceans. It will cost money to purchase the wrong boat so my recommendation is to do some sailing in other's people boats until you learn what you want, and then make a list of "Must have" and another of "would like to have". Do not compromise on your first list of "must have" unless there is the capacity to add it on right after the purchase. On the "would like to have" list there will be some flexibility and there is where you start making boat price considerations. If interior space is a priority for you do not compromise on it. Have seen many people compromise on their priorities because of price or "would likes" to later regret it badly, either loosing money in a trade or the constant aggravation of not having something needed. Do your homework and look at a lot boats (better to let a good one go than latter regret not having looked enough). Good luck.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
AMEL Super mare London
@Stu Jackson Thanks some good info and certainly some good boat suggestions on there, added to my list!

I am very surprised at how big this Cat 30 is! The Cat 36 is looking promising right now!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
How handy are you and do you have a partner? I'm thinking that the You Tube channel "Sailing Uma" would be a good model for you if you have skills and help. They purchased a 1972 Pearson 36 that was headed to the junk yard. What they did with it is nothing short of amazing. But they are an unusually smart and motivated couple. If you have what they have in terms of ability, then I would suggest that you carefully observe what they did. They started with a simple concept much as what you describe and you certainly have more financial resources than they had starting out.

The problem is that we often hear from people who say similar things but may be over-stating their desires. "I've never been sailing before, but I want to buy a sailboat and sail around the world on $10,000". It's the biggest cliché on the forum. What if you were to say, "I want to buy a sailboat that has good bones and re-build it. My budget is £25,000 to spend on the boat and improvements. BTW, I'm motivated by restoring the boat and I have exceptional DIY skills". You'd get some excellent recommendations.

What if you were to say, "I've never been sailing before and I want to learn. I want to buy a boat and go sailing as much as possible. My budget to go sailing is £25,000." Again, you'd get excellent recommendations, but with an entirely different focus and much different recommendations.

Right now, your focus seems scattered and the budget too small for an all-encompassing goal, except that you hint that there is no budget.

Here is a great summary of a purchasing strategy that might interest you.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
AMEL Super mare London
@Scott T-Bird Thanks for all the info. I will check all the links and the Youtube channel.
I am definitely coming in to this humble and naive and it's all quite exciting tbf. I have travelled around Europe in a van for 1 year and what a year that was! So definitely know what is in store, but being on the sea is just another level of awesome!
I like the 'Sailing Uma' story, and it's something I would be able to do, I have built motorbikes from scratch (well more of a bobber project but it was in pieces) and built a campervan from scratch (electrics, water, gas, insulation, wood work, ventilation, batteries the lot) and generally have a 'if they can do it I can do it' attitude. The day I finally found the courage to drill the first hole in my van I said to myself 'it's either going to turn out bad, or it's going to turn out amazing, anything in the middle will do me'.. I think in times like this we have to turn worry into excitement!

My plan is to probably get to £30,000 for a boat, and still have £15,000 in the bank by say October.. Then go for it. I want to be on the water first, enjoying the boating life, as opposed to spending a year fixing up, as who knows it may not be for me, and a year working on a boat I don't want to use seems pointless.

Thanks for the links.. I will check them now!

Jan 25, 2022
AMEL Super mare London
These are some of the boats I have found, there seems to be many in this category (sports cruisers/racers?). Obviously some of them are out my price range but - I do think I want a 36/37/38 as my first boat. I just love space, and empty space at that.

Bavaria 34 Holiday (other sizes)
Beneteau first 36 (other sizes)
Amel super maramu!
Catalina 30 32 (other sizes)
Pearson 365 (other sizes)
Hunter 37 (other sizes)
Ericson 38 (other sizes)
Jeanneau 44i (other sizes)
Freedom 30 (other sizes)

I have much time yet to do research, go see some sailing clubs, meet up with local boaters etc.

Thanks all for the help, it's been a great start!

Oct 22, 2014
Catalina 30 32 (other sizes)
Pearson 365 (other sizes)
Hunter 37 (other sizes)
Ericson 38 (other sizes)
This group gives you a good mix of solid built and very good coastal cruisers. There are many more that are local builds by English, Scottish, and Baltic sea builders worth exploring.

Jan 25, 2022
AMEL Super mare London
@jssailem Thanks, can you give me some brand names?
I want something that is capable of crossing the atlantic, hence why I want a bigger boat like a 36/37/38 and dare I say 42 but let's not get ahead of ourselves here!

Oh I really like that Uma project, very nice!

Jan 25, 2022
AMEL Super mare London
What would this mean...

"GAIL WARNING is a shoal draft model with centerboard, allowing her to venture where other boats her size cannot."

Found on here:

I really like the look of these Pearsons. And all the other USA built brands like Catalina... The US ones seem a little bigger inside than most of the UK ones I have seen... I guess you don't get many of the US ones around the UK? Maybe in more coastal sailing regions like Azores or Greece?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
What would this mean...

"GAIL WARNING is a shoal draft model with centerboard, allowing her to venture where other boats her size cannot."
That model has a centerboard that hinges up and down instead of a fixed keel. It means when you’re in shallower areas you can pull the board up, and when you’re in deeper areas you can let the board down for better performance. There are merits to that but also some drawbacks, mainly in terms of maintenance complexity. You’ll find that everything with your boat choices come with compromises.

I’d recommend finding a boat in your budget that fits well for living on and maybe coastal cruising. In your budget starting there will probably give you a better chance of success without being over-extended. Use that as an opportunity to learn sailing and boat specific maintenance. After you have more experience you could probably sell the starter boat without losing too much on the boat itself (except for what you put into the boat as improvements), and you’ll have a much better idea for what you want going forward. Like I said all boats have compromises - Right now you don’t know what compromises you can live with and what would be dealbreakers for long term living aboard.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
You might consider expanding your age range. That will open up the possibilities in your price range tremendously. Older doesn’t necessarily mean worn out. You’re passing on a lot of great boats.

Jan 25, 2022
AMEL Super mare London
@markwbird Yes definitely! I am open to older boats of the mid to late 70s also!
I guess it's just learning about them all.. I need to go down to a show room (or dock) and speak to those in the know and get on some boats!