New to sailing, just picked up an ODay 23.

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
OK, Checking with Dwyer Mast, The model #DM450 extrusion is used on both O'Day 22-2, 38 lbs.; and 23-2; 40 lbs. with the exception that the 23-2 is 6" longer. These weights do not include the required hardware. Having owned an O'Day Mariner for 35 years, I assure you that the mast sizes between the O'Day Mariner and the 22-2 are greatly different. It was interesting because the Mariner mainsail fit very nicely on the 22-2. Having bought sails for both boats, the North cruising sails for the 22-2 are most beautiful and bullet proof; even though they were made in Sri Lanka. Maybe that was an advantage. They are meticulously crafted with bells and whistles.

Will D

Aug 22, 2018
O'Day Daysailer Pueblo Reservoir
Welcome and congratulations, 1979. I similarly just bought a sailboat, just a 17 foot O'Day Daysailer 2, and took her out only after reading books and watching youtube videos. No major mishaps but lots of learning and hard work, though it's a dream fulfilled. The people and posts in these forums are incredibly helpful.

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
With a sail area to weight ratio of 33, you bought a fast little racing boat. If you're into racing you have the boat!

Will D

Aug 22, 2018
O'Day Daysailer Pueblo Reservoir
With a sail area to weight ratio of 33, you bought a fast little racing boat. If you're into racing you have the boat!
Cool! I did just join a local club which races 8 times a season so that's great to hear I might not finish last. :)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I’m guessing closer to 17??

Nov 8, 2016
Oday 23 SF North Bay
The Mast section (extrusion size) is definitely larger on the 23-2 than the 22 (1980-83 with fractional rig). Even the later 222 used a smaller section than the 23-2. I think the 22 fractional rig used the same basic mast as the MARINER (19') and 1976-78 O'DAY 20. The 23-2 has a much "beefier" mast than the 22, the 23 mast weighed 50# according to O'DAY, the 22 fractional rig mast was 42# although I suspect both figures are a bit low. That 8# may not seem like much, but when distributed over 27' of mast....it makes a BIG difference! The Mast on my DS II is just under 25' long and I can carry it easily alone, but that 27# mast gets pretty unwieldy when I am holding it only 6-7' from the bottom and trying to hold it vertical.
I calculate 50 pounds before rigging of the kenyon 3650 mast. Add top plate, spreaders, rigging, etc, you'll get something easily north of 75 pounds. The mast on the poster's 79 i think should be a Kenyon unless it was swapped. The 23 has a thicker, heavier, longer mast than the 22-2 kenyon, however I'm not sure about the z-spars, but it sounds like it's lighter.

Sep 9, 2019
O'Day 23-2 Onalaska
Pardon please if this is too delayed ...

Some assumed the masts should be similar on the 23 and 22. But they work quite differently. A masthead rig is under straight compression from the forestay and backstay and serves to better trim the foresail with a consistently firm forestay. (Also nice for roller furling.) A fractional rig varies the mast bend via adjustment of the backstay (because the stays pull the mast at different points) and thus trims the mainsail luff. The 23 and 22 follow the typical pattern of larger foresails on masthead rigs and larger mains on fractional rigs. A rig designed to be bent clearly will be different than one designed only to be compressed. I don't know how much 22 sailers actually do fractional tactics.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018
Oday 23 Marina Del Rey
My '78. Love it. I was going to sell it a few months ago, but the wife was torn. We spend most weekends out on it, and take it out of Marina Del Rey out by Venice Beach and Santa Monica. At 23,' she can sometimes feel pretty small out in the open. Next year, maybe something a little larger(?) So.... sails were the originals from 1978 I'm pretty sure (having all the factory markings). New ones were purchased. I can't wait to see how she does with the new ones.
Anyway, you are going to fall in love with that boat!

Attachments

Aug 12, 2011
ODay Ospray & 23 Calverton
I used the video referenced above to make a gin pole for my O'Day 23 because my marina could not lift my boat out of the water with the mast up. I have raised an lowered the mast many times without mishap with my gin pole. However, I strongly recommend that you do it with at least 2 people. It helps greatly if you have someone on the gin pole to make sure that it stays straight up and down and doesn't twist sideways. Enjoy your 23. It is a great boat!