New (to me) O'Day Widgeon.

Apr 23, 2014
Oday Widgeon Anywhere there's water.
What do you think? I'm new to sailing and just getting started and I figured a small sail boat would fit me just fine to learn. Now I know very little about what to look for when buying one. Any tips, should I pass on this one or go grab it today? I know the photos won't tell much but they may help a bit. Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

Apr 11, 2014
Oday Widgeon Worcester, Mass
Check the locker where the centerboard goes up into. Look for cracks from the bottom and from the inside on the deck. Check the deck where the mast sits for cracks or damage. These are where big forces work on the boat. Also check the bow eye where the trailer cable hooks onto, again for damage or cracks.I bought one last year just in time for the coldest, snowiest winter on record. I'll get it in the water in the next few weeks. I keep getting great reactions to how nice a sail they are. They're stable, easy to sail, perfect for beginners. If it's in good shape, there are not too many boats better suited for you. I paid $550 without a trailer. Good luck.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2014
I picked it up yesterday, she could use a bit of work but the only thing that I should really get are new lines and paint other than that she's good. I bought the boat and trailer for $400.

Apr 11, 2014
Well there you go, congrats.
I replaced all the lines on mine.
The line specs are:
Main halyard 1/4"
Jib sheets 1/4"
Main sheet: 5/16"
All lines for centerboard 5/16"
Mainsheet rear track: 5/16"
All outhaul, downhaul, cunningham, and boom vang 1/4"
I'm one of those people that go one step further and color coded my lines.
Port side jib sheet green, starboard side red. All out haul, downhaul, boom vang lines blue. What the heck, the colors don't cost anymore.
I also added a boom vang.

Apr 23, 2014
I was able to get it pretty cheap since there really isn't much of a market for sail boats in Kansas. Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Need an owners manual?

I created one based on 8 years (1988-96) of owning/sailing a 1969 model and some added info from Rudy at D&R Marine.
D&R Marine (www.drmarine.com) is THE place to get any "O'DAY" specific parts you may need. Rudy Nickerson, the owner used to be the Parts Dept. Manager for O'DAY and now runs a little shop making and selling replacement parts. He also built the WIDGEON for a while after O'DAY closed up. What he built was a more updated version of hte boat (different deck, basically same as yours but the seats were molded-in instead of being removeable wood).

OH, and NICE BOAT! you will have loads of fun!
One bit of advice, ALWAYS keep the mainsheet in hand while sailing, you can use the supplied camcleat to hold hte tension, but keep the mainsheet (line to control mainsail and boom) in your hand so that if a gust of wind hits... you can instantly release the sheet and spill the wind before the boat starts to capsize..... I was able to recover more than once after water started to come over the leeward (low side, away from wind direction) by doing that. I've included a few old pictures of my little "gem" to inspire you!

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2014
Ooh, that's very nice looking. I can wait to start the painting. Although the sanding/paint removal won't be much fun. I took her out today and she does just fine. I believe I may be interested in seeing the manual. I would like to have proper rigging and sailing instructions being I'm still very new to sailing.

Apr 23, 2014
Haha Yes there is! Kansas actually has some pretty decent lakes. Just like Clinton and Perry lake (within 30-40 minutes away from me) are very good lakes to go sailing. I see a fair few out in those waters.

Apr 11, 2014
Sunbird, I'm installing hardware for a spinnaker. Do you remember what the heights of the eye rings for the topping lift and spinnaker pole eye are suppose to be?

The height of the spinnaker sheet looks a couple inches above the jib sheet.
The topping lift looks about even with the spreader bars, but my 1984 doesn't have those...so I can try to scale it from your rigging drawing, which would be about 8 1/2 feet from the bottom of the mast. (1/3 mast length.)
The spin pole eye looks about 14 - 15 inches above the mast cleats.

I saw your drawing of the Widgeon rigging, but these are guestimates for me.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
O'DAY Widgeon Spinnaker installation instructiions. I don't know if they will come through big enough to really read, but if not....let me know!
It doesn't give a measured height for the topping lift eye, just references by the spreader bases, but there are no Class Rules to worry about and estimating height for that seems good enough.

I need to be careful, pretty soon all the diagrams from my WIDGEON Manual will be posted here! <GRIN!>

Attachments