New to me C&C 25 MKI

CliffA

Jul 27, 2023
C&C 25 MkI NSC
Hello All.
We just purchased our first sailboat - a 1973 25MK1. It will need a bit of love but overall looks pretty solid. The only soft area I noticed was on the starboard deck near the chainplate. It looks to me that the chainplate is actually extended and fastened to the hull, does anyone know if the deck also provides support for the plate? Obviously I want to fix the soft spot, but I would be more inclined to bring someone in to do it if it’s a more structural element. If it’s just a soft spot on the deck and all the support is coming from the attachment to the hull, I’d be confident in my ability to repair the deck myself.

Thanks.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
A photo or two would help us help you. That said, the deck generally does not provide structural support for a chainplate that passes through it. The chainplate should be robustly attached to the hull below deck. Most likely, you have core rot where the chainplate protrudes through the deck. Welcome to the forum! :beer:

CliffA

Jul 27, 2023
C&C 25 MkI NSC
A photo or two would help us help you. That said, the deck generally does not provide structural support for a chainplate that passes through it. The chainplate should be robustly attached to the hull below deck. Most likely, you have core rot where the chainplate protrudes through the deck. Welcome to the forum! :beer:
That’s great news…..I’m probably the first person that called hearing they have deck rot great news.
Yes, I will try to get some pics loaded up. Heading to the boat this evening to finalize the deal.

Thank you.

CliffA

Jul 27, 2023
C&C 25 MkI NSC
I’ll have to take a closer look and see if it’s best to attack it from the top or from the bottom.

That’s about the worst spot on the deck for spiderweb cracks.

3D91C05A-7D16-4603-B3A8-1F168E23F46E.jpeg

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Easiest to remove the skin on top to remove the rotted core. Then install new core and re-skin the deck. Did that for seven stanchions and, most recently, the cockpit sole.