New to me 216 - Cabin Seal - Deck Rot / Repair

Jul 23, 2024
Hunter 216 Wake Forest, NC
Hello all!

Just picked up a 04, 216 and am excited to sail. Unfortunately, the previous owner lied about a lot of the condition, so I have been doing more work than was originally expected.

Quick question, can anyone point me in the direction for a new seal for the cabin opening? I used an automotive one on a Capri 14 in the past but the shape of the existing seal on the 216 does not seem to want the same kind of seal shape.

A more serious question, I have what I can only describe as 2 'blisters' on the floor of my cockpit 6’’+ in length. One is near the hatch opening and will 'squish' down when stepped on. There is also a 'razor' like cut into the flooring nearby that will poof up water if I step nearby. I have dried everything out as much as possible and my plan is to use some Git Rot after I drill a few holes into the impacted area. Is this a good plan or is this a bad plan? I don’t have any previous experience working with the plastic that the boat is made from but I assume there is some kind of wooden core under the decking?

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
You're going to want to get all of the water out of there before you start doing any kind of repair. A good way is to apply a vacuum, which will remove water and moisture - make sure the core is dry (10% moisture or less). Any repairs done with water/high moisture in the cure will not hold.

Jul 23, 2024
Hunter 216 Wake Forest, NC
Appreciate the intel. I did hold my wet dry vac on it for a while and have been extreamly careful to keep it dry. I dont have a moisture meeter but I am not sure what else I can do other than what I have done. Any time the sun has been out I have let it bake as well.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
You can use a vacuum pump, you need to leave it running for a while (hours). Works best when the deck is warm from the sun - if you can achieve 30 Hg (easily done with a pump), moisture will "boil" away at 70 degrees fahrenheit. Otherwise, you would need to tear out the wet core, which is a lot more work. This is the only way to get a permanent fix.