New to me 2003 Hunter 386

JimP

Dec 26, 2014
Hunter 386 Barnegat Bay, NJ
Hi all,

Lots of great stuff here!

After 7 years, I’ve upgraded from my 2006 Hunter 31 to a 2003 Hunter 386.

Last weekend’s first project was replacing the head and sanitation hose, both which appeared (and smelled) like they were original to the boat!

Rather than taking apart all the furniture, I used a coupler and electrical tape to connect the new hose to the old at the tank and pulled the new hose thru from under the seat in the aft cabin...

This also kept them mess in the head/shower compartment where i was able to flush it through the shower sump with some diluted bleach.

New head is Raritan with Raritan hose,.

Got back to the boat tonight, no smell :)

This weekends projects, updating original electronics to current models, and deep cleaning.

Next project engine maintenance...

Expect a bunch of photos and write ups on the various upgrades.

Prepping for a trip home to Barnegat Bay, NJ from Herrington North in MD In May.

Jim

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
Hi all,

Lots of great stuff here!

After 7 years, I’ve upgraded from my 2006 Hunter 31 to a 2003 Hunter 386.

Last weekend’s first project was replacing the head and sanitation hose, both which appeared (and smelled) like they were original to the boat!

Rather than taking apart all the furniture, I used a coupler and electrical tape to connect the new hose to the old at the tank and pulled the new hose thru from under the seat in the aft cabin...

This also kept them mess in the head/shower compartment where i was able to flush it through the shower sump with some diluted bleach.

New head is Raritan with Raritan hose,.

Got back to the boat tonight, no smell :)

This weekends projects, updating original electronics to current models, and deep cleaning.

Next project engine maintenance...

Expect a bunch of photos and write ups on the various upgrades.

Prepping for a trip home to Barnegat Bay, NJ from Herrington North in MD In May.

Jim
while you're at it, if you never go off shore think about removing all the hoses etc. for overboard discharge

JimP

Dec 26, 2014
while you're at it, if you never go off shore think about removing all the hoses etc. for overboard discharge
It has a macerator, and I do go outside the three mile limit, so I’ll leave it there for now...

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Congrats on your new boat, Jim. Looking forward to those write-ups and pics as you progress through the various projects. Doing most of the work yourself helps to get better acquainted with the assortment of systems. Going larger creates more complex issues, but very rewarding when problems get solved.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
It has a macerator, and I do go outside the three mile limit, so I’ll leave it there for now...
Wise choice, Jim. Come resale time, although small, helps in the value of the boat. Our boat came equipped with one, and while it seldom gets used, does come in handy when no pump out station is nearby.

Rather than taking apart all the furniture, I used a coupler and electrical tape
That is how I replaced our clogged aft head discharge hose when I replaced with new. Used an inline barbed plastic fitting. Slathered vaseline on the new to help it slide through. Worked great. No need to tear the boat apart.

JimP

Dec 26, 2014
Wise choice, Jim. Come resale time, although small, helps in the value of the boat. Our boat came equipped with one, and while it seldom gets used, does come in handy when no pump out station is nearby.

That is how I replaced our clogged aft head discharge hose when I replaced with new. Used an inline barbed plastic fitting. Slathered vaseline on the new to help it slide through. Worked great. No need to tear the boat apart.
The Raritan hose is wrapped in Teflon type tape, made pulling easy. A bit more expensive hose, but 5 year warranty on smell permeation. I also prefer the Raritan toilets over the Jabsco. Got lucky, Annapolis West Marine had one in stock that was a special order cancelation, got it for only $250. Base is an exact match for the Jabsco, just had to reverse the base, so the pump was on the left.

Dec 25, 2000
I also prefer the Raritan toilets over the Jabsco.
Likely a wise choice, also. It seems the later Jabsco brand products lack the quality they once had. Our 1991 boat came with dual Jabsco sea water electric toilets. A bit noisy while flushing, but still serve their intended purpose.

dtrask

Feb 24, 2022
Hunter 38 Rockport
Hi Jim, not sure if you'll see this but I'm about to do the same with my 2003 386. How long of a hose did you order? Thanks!

JimP

Dec 26, 2014
Hi Jim, not sure if you'll see this but I'm about to do the same with my 2003 386. How long of a hose did you order? Thanks!
The boat was in Deale, MD when I bought it and the local West Marine had both the Raritan hose and the Fresh Head in stock and discounted from a customer return.

On the hose my recollection is that I bought the 25 foot piece they had and trashed only a 2-3 feet when I was done. It is a pretty straight run under the cabinets on the port side of the aft cabin, then around the tank to the aft side to connect. I did end up taking apart the chair in the aft cabin and also the bottom panel of one of the cabinets. The bend into the hole thru the wall in the head was the hardest part, and I widened the hole and used a deck plate around it.

The fresh head was a Right Hand Model, but it is easily reversed by removing the bowl and pump from the base and turning them 180 degrees prior to mounting.

The Fresh water is 15MM per, 1/2" pex connectors will leak. I installed a T inside the access cover near the shower fixture and threaded new pex down to the head, added a shutoff and an adapter to 1/2" threads to connect to the head.

dtrask

Feb 24, 2022
Hunter 38 Rockport
Thanks Jim! Did you replace the raw water intake hose going to the head as well or did you tap into the fresh water system instead?

JimP

Dec 26, 2014
15 month update, I've done a pretty full refit on my 2003 H386, and was out overnight for the first time this season this past weekend.

Completed projects, so far feel free to ask me anything:

• Rigging
    • New Running Rigging
    • New Standing Rigging
    • Replaced Jib Furler with Shafer 2100
    • New LED Mast/Steaming and Deck Lights and new wiring in mast
    • New VHF Antenna and Wiring
    • Replaced Raymarine Anemometer and cable
    • New Windex
    • Replaced all Parts of Selden In mast Furler system (Top bearing failed and damaged the section)
      • Top Bearing
      • Top Swivel
      • Section
      • Winch
  • Ground Tackle
    • Mantus M1 45 pound Anchor
    • 200 foot 5/16 chain
    • New Lewmar Windlass
    • Maxwell AA710 Wireless Windlass control and chain counter
  • Hull
    • Sand Blast
    • Fairing
    • 3 coats Epoxy Barrier Coat
    • 2 coats Red Hard Bottom Paint
    • 1 coat Pacifica Plus Blue Ablative Paint
    • Replaced all Through Hulls with Groco Flanged Seacocks
    • Removed and Epoxy/Glass sealed/faired Toilet Raw Water Inlet
    • Removed and Epoxy/Glass sealed/faired 1 of 2 sensor Through Hull (replaced with DST-810 combo Depth/Speed/Temp
    • Replaced Acrylic and Gaskets in 5 of 9 Lewmar Deck hatches
    • Added Kato Marine Radar Pole
    • Added Kato Marine Davits
    • Replaced Dodger/Bimini/Connector Canvas
  • Sails
    • New North Cruise Main
    • New North Cruise Jib 105%
  • Engine - 900 Hours 2003 Yanmar 3JH3E
    • Replaced ALL Raw and Anti-freeze hoses and both water pumps
    • New Balmar 100Amp Alternator with 614 Regulator
    • Cleaned Heat Exchanger
    • Replaced mixing elbow and all of the Wet Exhaust hose
    • New Stop Cable and Handle
    • New Groco ARG-1000 Strainer
    • Replaced Cutlass Bearing
    • Replaced PSS Dripless Shaft Seal
  • Plumbing
    • New Raritan Fresh Water Flush Head
    • Replaced Sanitation hose with Raritan Hose
    • New Fresh Water Pump
    • New Galley Sink and Fixture
    • New Shower Hose and Sprayer
    • New Bilge Pump and Hose
    • New Shower Sump Box/Pump
    • Dry Bilge System Pump and Hoses
  • Electrical
    • 5 X 12v 100 Amp Victron Lithium Batteries
    • Victron 12v 3000 Inverter Charger
    • Victron Lynx Distro and 500A Shunt
    • Victron Cyrix-LI Battery combiner
    • Victron Cerbo GX with 9" Display
    • Victron GS-150 Tank Monitor (Removed Snake River Panel, but used same senders)
    • Victron Smart 200A Load Disconnect
    • Marbru 12 Volt 12K BTU Heat/AC Unit
    • New Blue Sea DC and AC Power Panels
    • New 50 amp Shore Inlet, ELCI breaker, ground isolator and wiring ( replaced dual 30s )
    • All Interior lights replaced with LED Bulbs
    • Running Lights replaced bulbs with LED
    • Replaced interior courtesy lights with red LED
  • Electronics
    • WaveWifi - Wifi Repeater, Combo LTE Router and LTE antenna
    • Fusion RA670 Stereo and 4 7" Speakers
    • Upgraded/added Raymarine VHF, AIS, Autopilot, Chart Plotter and I70 series instruments
    • Raymarine HD Radar
I had my yard do the bottom job and the standing rigging. All other work was done by me.

Still looking to replace a few ports, add solar and/or wind power, upgrade salon cushions, replace refrigerator compressor (working but 20 years old due for service), add anchor wash down, add asymmetrical spinnaker and whisker pole.