New to me 1988 C&C 30 MkII. Basic questions for a new owner.

serpa4

Apr 20, 2016
C&C 30 MkII Corpus Christi
Good day. I have a lot of 1 liner questions if you have time please.
I looked at a very nice 1988 C&C 30 MkII, shoal keel last week in DC. My offer was accepted.
1) Yanmar 2GM is 18hp. Will this get me to hull speed (6.8k) and if so, easy or full throttle? It has a new 3-blade folding kiwi prop. 800hrs. It has new bottom paint and is very smooth.
2) How much wind is required to reach hull speed (online calculator 6.8kt). Do I really need to push it and trim really well to achieve hull speed?
3) I just started the buying process and need to schedule a survey. What areas really need to be checked out? I.e. trouble areas. I looked at several mid 80's O'Day sailboats and water in the decks is a common issue. Does this year/model have an trouble areas?
4) I plan to live aboard it. The boat is in Virginia area. I cannot measure the icebox dimensions since I live in New Mexico. I'd like to order an Adler Barbour refrigeration for the box. Anyone know the model I should order or box measurements? I plan to install it within a couple days of getting the boat since it will be my home. I don't want to wait for mail to arrive and ship to the marina.
5) The ad said it has "She has the rare cockpit traveler rather than the more common traveler in the cockpit." What does that mean because I think its a typo? I'm very new to sailing. I have about 1.5 years of lake experience on a hobbi Wave (13' cat) and 15' West Wight Potter P15. Does he mean the traveler is in the companionway/cockpit vice on the to of the main cabin? The traveler is in the companion way.
6) I need a TV. If you own a C&C 30, where did you put it?
Thanks all!!!!

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Your traveler is mounted in the cockpit at seat level. The alternative location would typically be on the top of the cabin (just forward of the slider hatch). You can see mine in this photo.

I think you 2GM20 should be fine. I have the same diesel in my O'Day 322 (I am guessing around the same displacement as your 30). I am on Lake Michigan though, so no tidal currents to deal with.

Your speed for any given wind will depend on your point of sail, sail trim, waves, bottom cleanliness, etc. I expect that you can get your hull speed in 12 -15 knots of wind. Took me a year to reach "hull speed" on my first boat. I had no idea what I was doing. But practice makes perfect. Learn how your boat responds and you will do fine.

EVERY sailboat has the potential for wet coring and a host of other issues. Best to get a good surveyor and pay them. I tagged along on my first survey, learned a lot, and knew what to look for when I bought my second boat. Still hauled it and paid for a survey, but I knew the stuff I could inspect was Ok.

On the icebox, the key is the cubic feet of space, so you can size the plate and compressor correctly. Maybe some of the documentation gives you that measurement. Then you can size correctly.

Good luck with your new purchase!

Greg

serpa4

Apr 20, 2016
I wish I could be there for the survey. I flew from New Mexico to Maryland to look at several boat on the internet that photographed really well and the brokers said were nice. Wow, what joke. I spend a $1,000 to get there and back (car/food/hotel). I decided to walk the boat yards and docks to find something for sale. I found a few decent ones, had great conversations, etc. I came across this 88 C&C 30MkII in such great shape (visually) and it came with all the goodies (sails, upgrades, dingy, low hours, great cabin layout, etc). It checked out fine on my visual walk around. I had to come home but put in a offer. Now I need to schedule a survey, but cannot really go out to DC again due to work time off.

serpa4

Apr 20, 2016
Your traveler is mounted in the cockpit at seat level. The alternative location would typically be on the top of the cabin (just forward of the slider hatch). Took me a year to reach "hull speed" on my first boat. I had no idea what I was doing. But practice makes perfect. Learn how your boat responds and you will do fine.

EVERY sailboat has the potential for wet coring and a host of other issues. Best to get a good surveyor and pay them.

Greg
Thanks for the info. I went down to DC from NM to look at two O'day ('85 and '86 35). I really liked them and most people said they were a pretty good boat. Unfortunately neither worked and that sucked. The 85 needed a LOT of work. The 86 was really clean and would have been a purchase, but the deck had at least 20 cracks and some were quite significant. The broker said the last person stopped the survey in the middle of it, and walked away. The survey said there was very high levels of water in the deck. I decided to keep looking.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I would walk away from a boat with lots of moisture too. It can be fixed, but why buy the problem. I would rather sail than fix a boat.

Your C&C looks nice.

Hire a good surveyor and let them do their job.

Greg