New (to me) 1975 ODay 22

Jan 1, 2016
O'Day 22 Virginia Beach
Hello!
After finally convincing my wife to let me buy a sailboat, I recently purchased a Oday 22 on a trailer. She needs some updating (the boat, that is!) but is otherwise in solid condition. I am interested in any tips from other owners, any updates you feel are "must dos" and any other advise. We live in Virginia Beach so most of our sailing will be in the Chesapeake Bay and lower rivers.

What came with the boat
-Plenty of life jackets
-Winches
-Bimini that does not seem to be made for the 22 but seems to do the trick anyway
-Anchors/chain/rode
-Swim ladder
-Alcohol stove (have heard that these are great and that these are horrible...which is it?!)
-Pump sink
-Porta-potty
-1 mainsail in great condition, 2 foresails in good condition

What I have already done
-Replaced all wire
-Changed nav lights, mast light and anchor light to LED
-Installed AAA-powered LED "pucks" in the cabin
-Installed a depth sounder
-Installed VHF
-New marine battery

Thoughts
Trickle charger or no? Being on a trailer, it will not be connected to shore power meaning I will have to haul the battery to the garage to charge. I'm not too concerned about power use while underway as we will only be out for the day or occasional overnight. Considered building an A-frame to help step the mast. I have 2 young kids (7 and 11) and would like to be able to take them out without the wife but would need help stepping.

What else should I look at doing?

Thanks!!
Jason

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
A-frame would be an easy thing to do, though you may also be able to do it with just a gin pole setup (my brother does that with his O'day 23, and even with his son (who was I think 10ish?) was able to step it no problem. Using the main sheet as purchase for the gin pole, his son could easily pull that while my brother guided the mast up to keep it from going side-to-side. The only time he said he ever had any issue at all was because he didn't realize something got twisted, but every other time, was easy for him to raise and lower. An A-frame takes a lot of the side-to-side issues out of the picture, and if you're planning on raising at the down/launch and then leaving it until you come back, you could store it with the trailer to not clutter up the deck with the pole or frame.

He also rarely charged the battery, since he didn't use a lot of juice the whole time he goes out, mainly day trips and overnighters. Going to LED means even more savings for you, and really, just getting a small solar panel would charge what little you use without the need to pull the battery and charge it. Other than that, just make sure your lifelines are in good order to keep the kids on the right side of the boat, and you'll have a wonderful time all together!

Oct 13, 2013
Wayfarer Mark I GRP Chicago
I'm with the gin pole method. That is how I stepped my O'Day 22. I didn't do any updates but the guy before me put on a CDI roller furling system (which is available if you're interested) which is fantastic. He updated the cushions with memory foam that made going below for a rest really nice. I kept my battery on a solar trickle charger that was $50 from West Marine and worked great.

If you need help or advice on on the gin pole let me know.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
My last boat was an O22. I used a small solar panel to charge the battery. My motor didn't charge and my dock didn't have electric hookup. It did a good job but to be honest I'm not sure if I really needed it. The boat really didn't draw a whole lot.

Congratulations and let's hope for an early summer.

Jan 1, 2016
O'Day 22 Virginia Beach
CharlzO: I came across a drawing using the mainsheet attached to the forestay and A frame with the other end of the aframe tied off to the jib halyard. Seems easy enough to make out of 3/4" electrical conduit with no real need to drill or attach anything to the mast. I assume the ginpole works in a similar fashion, but how doe sit attach to the mast? Lifelines are good :)

DHarenSailor: The memory foam is a good idea! I can sleep standing up if needed by the wife is not too keen on overnights as its not "my comfy bed". That might help convince her otherwise! How does a roller furling work on a trailer sailor?

SpooledAgain: I don't think I draw much after moving everything over to LED. The VHF is really the only significant draw. I do plan on setting her up one day, turning on the VHF and lights to see how long she really lasts on one charge. I'm really leaning towards the solar panel for no other reason than I won't have to pull the battery out after each trip and lug it to the garage. An early summer would be fantastic!

Thank you all for the help!
Jason

Oct 13, 2013
Wayfarer Mark I GRP Chicago
I attached a simple diagram that I drew up for someone else about how to set up a gin pole and raise your mast with it. Let me know if you have questions. I built mine for about $50 or so. Most expensive thing was the winch. Make sure you get a reverse ratcheting one for un-stepping the mast.

Had the same problem. Mine is the same way. Likes as many creature comforts to come with us as she can get.

Before you raise the mast you attach it to the top of the mast and once it is stepped you attach it to the bow. Acts as your forestay. There then is a messenger line that you use to raise the sail up. Then off you go. Really not all that much harder to rig than a hank on and much easier to use underway.

Attachments

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Congratulations Jason, I love the looks of an O'Day.

Speaking of which, is your camera broken or something?? :poke:

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
Solar panels are so cheap these days it's hard to justify NOT having one, at least to trickle-charge the battery (15W or so). If the alcohol stove is non-pressurized it's a good compromise: relatively safe, self-contained but not very hot and uses a lot of fuel (Insert Story of where a nearby boat heard me swearing profusely down below on my Cal 25, followed by a pressurized alcohol stove flying out the companionway into the water, totally engulfed in flames...)

druid