New to MacGregor

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 22 293 Huntington Lake, CA
I recently inherited a 1968 V21 with many sweet extras, but most important, the hull is solid, with no soft spots. There is some cracking of the gel coat and the fiberglass in places, but it is nearly 50 years old, so I'm not worried about that. BUT, in the process of losing several documents that make my life easier, the Title - in the original owners' name - was included. I am trying to find some identifying mark on the hull, and have searched the transom, inside and out; the cabin, little cubbies and where ever I could reach my phone to get a picture of the hidden compartments. I cannot locate a serial number, HID or even cave drawings of its first launch. Just to make things even more interesting, the license plate from the trailer has gone the way of yard art or is now disguising stolen goods somewhere. I would like to know how to legally (and by that, I mean DMV standards) identify this specific V21 from all the other thousands of them in my zip code. Ideas?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Boat HIN did not start until 1972. So you may not have one. The DMV should allow you to attach an VIN but a bill of sale will be enough to get it registered without a HIN

Trailer... good luck. Ask the DMV, they may allow you to declare it "home made" and add a VIN. I've done that once at the advice of the DMV.

Apr 20, 2016
Thanks! I usually avoid the DMV like a Covid, but the Triple AAA folk can be difficult, too. The Boat ID police are the ones I need to make happy this weekend, so anything short of tying an anchor to my neck and going down with the ship .... I am willing to do. I suppose. If you are at Huntington Lake this weekend, and spot Sail # 826, give a shout!

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Off topic but, does the trailer have a VIN plate? I just went through quite a hassle trying to register a trailer that came with a boat I bought because it didn't have a VIN plate. It was registered in the province it came from as a "u-built" but the province I'm in wouldn't accept that registration. I did eventually get it registered but it was a pain in the neck.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Off topic but, does the trailer have a VIN plate? I just went through quite a hassle trying to register a trailer that came with a boat I bought because it didn't have a VIN plate. It was registered in the province it came from as a "u-built" but the province I'm in wouldn't accept that registration. I did eventually get it registered but it was a pain in the neck.
I don't think that is off topic. Sometimes it is good to appeal to an actual human. Explain your situation and tell them that you want to get it right and need their help. If the person you are dealing with blows you off. Come back a different day and try a different person.

Apr 20, 2016
Not off topic at all! I have looked, but don't see anything... the trailer had been registered, with a license plate but that paperwork was lost with the title. I went to the widow of the original owner, who signed the "lost title/title transfer" form from the DMV, and she was able to provide a hull number, but nothing on the trailer. Will head to AAA at lunch and get the stickers, and hopefully a new plate!
BTW, there appears to be a gin pole on the trailer with a hand winch and cable.... never seen one of those in real life. Not sure I can get it tucked back up there so nicely, so I will probable just have my son chuck the mast up for me! (I had shoulder surgery in February, and I need all the sympathy labor I can get!)