New to group Irwin 37 MKV Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2009
Irwin 37 CC Baltimore
Let me introduce myself first, My name is John and my wife is Bobbie. We have just purchased a 1981 Irwin 37 MKV with swing keel . This is a project boat which needs a total refit, a completely new enterer, all new bulk heads, engine and lots …. more . I am planning on two years to get her in the water and another 2 to complete, and yes I know complete is a relative term. I also know that it takes 3 times as long as planned so don’t hold me to the schedule.

A little back ground about me so you know my capabilities. I have refurbished a couple of homes as well as building a large home in the past, I have also built an experimental aircraft which I have been flying for the 4 years. I am a electronic designer/engineer which I hope will help when I get to the point of rewiring the boat.

Anyways I will be looking for a lot of advice so please be patient with me over the long haul.

I have already had my share of problems, the boat was trucked from Long Island which took a while. When delivered we discovered the truck could no make the turn into the marina , and the lift could not get out to the truck due to over head wires. We were able to unload the boat at another marina and it will be towed over to its new home this week.

My first question, has anyone replaced the steel compression post support located under the sole. Mine is rusted badly to the point I could flake off pieces of the corroded steel (1/16 thick chunks). The remaining steel is still ¼ + thick on the side I can see but if I am going to do this I want to do it right. I will be removing all of the bulk heads so this would be the time to tackle this. Any help would be appreciated.

I intend to put a web site together with photos as I refit so that it might help someone else in the future. Hopefully I will be able to prevent the next fellow avoid the mistakes I am about to make…. First one might be buying this boat but I need a big project.

Mar 23, 2010
Irwin Irwin 37 Quebec
Hi, I've the same Irwin, bought it 2 years ago in Michigan, now the boat is in Quebec.
Cannot help you on this one but I would like to stay in touch since I'm going throug renovation as well, but not as big as yours!

Best regards,
Claude

Jul 29, 2009
Irwin 37 c.c. Cutter indian rocks beach, fl.
Hi, some of this is from another thread I posted. I jacked up the step on mine with a two ton floor jack, from the inside. It only lifted about 1/8 inch and revealed there are 2 bolts coming down into the wood post from the top. After I removed all the caked on sealer at the bottom of the mast it looks like it has only settled that much. I installed a 1/8 inch aluminum spacer between the post and the ceiling and let it go at that since I can find no major rot in the step, post or the box under the floor(sole). Very lucky, I guess. I am replacing the bulkhead there since it rotted from water leaking thru the diaphragm on the fresh water pump which was spraying thru a 2 inch hole in the glas under the front bench in the galley. Was a fight to get it in but only had to take about a half inch off the finished height to get it in.
On the site IrwinYachts.com, there is a photo gallery of a Irwin 65 being redone and they have the sole taken apart and pics of an aluminum post support they installed.
I've done a lot of repairs on my 37 sloop and have a solid mechanical background including A&P. If you got into the boat cheap enough it should always be worth more than what you have into it, minus the labor(If you don't believe me, go price a new one). Mine was pretty well trashed and I have had it out sailing many times and the rewards for the work you do are well worth the effort. And as with me, you will know every inch of your boat, just in case. It doesn't have to be done to sail her, just has to be seaworthy. Please feel free to ask questions, and good luck.

Jul 25, 2009
Irwin ketch center cockpit Sandusky, Ohio
My compression post was replaced with aluminum

Let me introduce myself first, My name is John and my wife is Bobbie. We have just purchased a 1981 Irwin 37 MKV with swing keel . This is a project boat which needs a total refit, a completely new enterer, all new bulk heads, engine and lots …. more . I am planning on two years to get her in the water and another 2 to complete, and yes I know complete is a relative term. I also know that it takes 3 times as long as planned so don’t hold me to the schedule.

A little back ground about me so you know my capabilities. I have refurbished a couple of homes as well as building a large home in the past, I have also built an experimental aircraft which I have been flying for the 4 years. I am a electronic designer/engineer which I hope will help when I get to the point of rewiring the boat.

Anyways I will be looking for a lot of advice so please be patient with me over the long haul.

I have already had my share of problems, the boat was trucked from Long Island which took a while. When delivered we discovered the truck could no make the turn into the marina , and the lift could not get out to the truck due to over head wires. We were able to unload the boat at another marina and it will be towed over to its new home this week.

My first question, has anyone replaced the steel compression post support located under the sole. Mine is rusted badly to the point I could flake off pieces of the corroded steel (1/16 thick chunks). The remaining steel is still ¼ + thick on the side I can see but if I am going to do this I want to do it right. I will be removing all of the bulk heads so this would be the time to tackle this. Any help would be appreciated.

I intend to put a web site together with photos as I refit so that it might help someone else in the future. Hopefully I will be able to prevent the next fellow avoid the mistakes I am about to make…. First one might be buying this boat but I need a big project.
I have a 1978 Irwin 37 CC. The compression post on the 78 was wood (cheap wood). We removed the bulkhead and the fwd head decking. The athwart stringers were replaced with new glassed in marine grade wood ones. The mast step (also originally cheap wood) was replaced with a box beam of aluminum. We jacked the trunk top up almost 2" and installed a new compression post also made of an aluminum box beam. That was in 1988, the first year we owned the boat. We've had no problems since.

We have replaced just about everything else since then. One main thing being the chain plates which we made external - a MAJOR improvement.

Holler if I can help.

Attachments

Sep 13, 2004
- - Callisto
Good luck, it sounds like quite a project. A labor of love!! My husband and I sail an Irwin 35.5 out of Oriental, NC. We'll be glad to give you any advise that we have. Keep posting, we'll be watching, Jean & Joe

Nov 16, 2009
Irwin 37 CC Baltimore
Irwin 37 MKV Refit / Questions

Well its been a while, just got back from working on the boat, so far here’s what we have done.
- Stripped the inerter completely
- All bulkheads have been removed
- Removed steering pedestal
- Removed most of the wiring
- The four hatched have been removed and the frames have been cleaned up and powder coated
- 2 (Full) holding tanks removed
- Heads removed
- Batteries, charger, hot water heater, stove… all remove and scrapped
- All wood work worth keep has been remove and trailer home for refinish like drawers, doors , trim ….

As for the mast step, after some clean up and scraping I have decided to live with it. It has rusted but not to the extent first thought. The next thing was to grind the glass from the chain plates. They do not look bad but I am considering installing a set of exterior plates slightly aft of the originals. my only concern is moving the main plate off center of the mast by about 1.5 inches. Has anyone done this and if so can you let me know how its worked out?

Good news today.. I cut the plumbing line from the water tank mounted in the bilge only to find it was half full, water ran for more than 2 hours from the severed line. IT HOLDS WATER and has for over a year.

Next week I get to scrape the inch thick greasy slime from the bilge.. Oh Goody
I have pics but have not had time to create a web site so guess they will have to wait.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.