New to forum. Precision 18 splashed!

May 18, 2022
Precision Precision 18 Geneva
Just wanted to say hi! I splashed my new to me 98’ Precision 18 Sunday and sailed it Tuesday for a hour and half 10-12kt winds with a reef in and full 100% jib. Preliminary findings. Thumbs Up!
EA163A22-01A4-4313-8408-C440E60B418B.jpeg

This is at transient dock I later moved it to summer dock a couple rows over. Since I dilly-dallied around getting a slip I am next to a pontoon boat. There is 3’ between us! With someone with me no problem but I singlehand 50% of the time and fortunately the slip next to me (opposite pontoon boat) is payed for but no boat in it. I park there and move it by hand into my slip. Looking for a out-of the box solution for reliably docking this thing without banging it up?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Welcome to the Forums! There are several recent threads on solo docking. :beer:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Hello Eric1969,
welcome to the forums where the best seamen and sailorly info can be had, just for the asking. It is great to welcome you aboard, and your new mistress is a real beauty.

Looking for a out-of the box solution for reliably docking this thing without banging it up?
Right off the cuff, I would say, practice will get you what you want. Also, look into the useful application of spring lines in docking. There are numerous sources for docking schematics and suggested techniques.

I assume the picture you posted is typical of your permanent slip, you just think three feet of leeway is too tight.

Learn to account for the wind. There is no wind to speak of in the picture you posted, the flag is hanging at rest. But, you must experience a prevailing wind. What about current? Is there a tide with changing currents? Is it a river with one direction of flow?

1. Consider backing in. The steering end of a boat is the most maneuverable. The other end can blow off its line sometimes. Backing in, pulls the bow behind, forcing it to try and follow, while driving in forward can make it more susceptible to wind controlling it.

2. Land at the end of the finger dock and then rotate in, bow or stern first, by hand. Spring lines are your friends.

And, practice. None of us were good at docking the first few years we did it.

-Will

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I had a very similar boat, a Starwind 19. One of the first times docking at a slip I came in a bit hot. My bow pulpit slammed right into the dock box with the lovely sound of fiberglass cracking. When the boat came to a stop I sat there for a second, looked around and realized I was in the wrong slip altogether!

Anyways, As you may have already found out, your outboard may kick your boat off to the side a bit when you hit reverse. Do some practice and you will get it down. I personally do not attempt to toss a loop around a pylon because if I miss, there's only three feet to correct that mistake before I hit the dock.

If you have difficulty controlling your boat, make sure your outboard is far enough into the water. There's no rush so feel free to go as slow as you feel comfortable with. By the end of the season it will feel natural

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Suggest practicing for a few hours away from the marina first
This. Pick an arbitrary spot on the water and practice maneuvering around it. That’s a good way to learn how the boat responds to throttle and rudder inputs. Docking only lasts a couple minutes. You can get practice equivalent to probably 30 docking attempts in an hour on the water. Once you “graduate” from an arbitrary spot you could try it with something like a mooring buoy; just stay downwind of it so you don’t get blown onto it.

May 18, 2022
This is the 4th sailboat I’ve owned. The docks on the lake were renovated this spring. It didn’t dawn on me until today there is @ 2’ less feet between boats. I’ve never had a problem docking 100s of times in the past. Three times I’ve docked the P18 this week I’ve been lucky hitting the fender on the edge of the dock I figured out if I park in the slip across from mine and back in it is much more predictable however, I can’t be sure that it will be vacant every time I go out!

Thanks for everyone’s input.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
1653135245006.png

And/Or
1653135302736.png

My other thought, I couldn't find a picture for, is to come in, crossing the 'T' at the end of your finger dock. Put a bow line on to arrest forward motion so you are centered. Then, carry a stern line down the dock to drag the stern into the slip while the midships pivots around the dock end.

If you have the wind blowing you into the other boat, try a pre measured dockline attached at both bow and stern so you can pull either in by hooking the line around the forward dock cleat and pulling the slack down the dock to the aft dock cleat. You will still have the initial bow line on. This would work for bow-in as well, you just don't want to forget the stern line before you start pulling the bow into the slip. Easy to forget, since it isn't used to stop forward movement.

A midship cleat is a real benefit to docking. I'm surprised most boats don't come with them already installed.

-Will

May 18, 2022
Yup there is a rubrail. The corners are unprotected sharp pointy 2x6’s . I covered mine with foam, hopefully the marina won’t remove them.

May 18, 2022
Second look! I do see in the transiey section of docks it looks like the edges are fully covered. They are still working on the new docks so maybe haven’t got to my section yet.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
View attachment 205506
And/Or
View attachment 205507

My other thought, I couldn't find a picture for, is to come in, crossing the 'T' at the end of your finger dock. Put a bow line on to arrest forward motion so you are centered. Then, carry a stern line down the dock to drag the stern into the slip while the midships pivots around the dock end.

If you have the wind blowing you into the other boat, try a pre measured dockline attached at both bow and stern so you can pull either in by hooking the line around the forward dock cleat and pulling the slack down the dock to the aft dock cleat. You will still have the initial bow line on. This would work for bow-in as well, you just don't want to forget the stern line before you start pulling the bow into the slip. Easy to forget, since it isn't used to stop forward movement.

A midship cleat is a real benefit to docking. I'm surprised most boats don't come with them already installed.

-Will
I LOVE my mid-ship cleat

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
I have a similar boat, starwind 19. Just redone, but you know... scratches happen.

My approach is tighter than it seem, and there is a channel you can't get out of with the board down.

My technique is to kill the motor 40yds or so out and just drift it with momentum. I shove the tiller hard to Port let it turn 90 degrees and by then I've nearly stalled at forward speed, just enough to have a little steerage and bring the stern along the dock.

Learn to use the motor to impart motion, not drive it home. Click it in and out of forward and use inertia in your favor. Most damage happens when people get rammy with the throttle.

A wise man once told me " never go faster than you'd want to hit the dock "

Attachments

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Two more suggestions
-Attach fenders to the dock to prevent potential damage
-I used to have a Starwind 19 as well. At that marina there was a pylon at the end between my slip and the one next to me. Another sailor showed me that if you form a V with some line between the side dock, fore dock and the pylon, it provides protection and holds your boat in place for a little bit while dock lines were sorted out