New to Catalina 18

May 17, 2021
Catalina 18 Chesapeake
I hope this post is relevant and appropriate for the forum - please let me know if not.
I am looking to buy a Catalina 18. I live near the Chesapeake. My idea is that I would like to have it on a trailer at a marina where I could leave it parked at the marina, rigged, such that I could drive there, hitch the trailer, back it down the ramp, park the car, and then sail off. Is that a reasonable plan? The idea of rigging and unrigging after each sail just does not appeal to me. Also, I am not inclined to leave her in the water in a slip to ease maintenance issues (and to save some $). Is this something that can be done?
Next question - one of the boats that is listed for sale does not have a trailer. Can you point me to good suppliers of well-built trailers?
Any advice for this newbie would be appreciated!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Great idea to store your boat on a trailer fully rigged at marina with a tow tractor. That is what we have at my marina. Hopefully you have marina options in the Cheaspeake Bay.

As far trailers, new from Triad and possibly local trailer manufacturers or used on ebay.

May 17, 2021
Catalina 18 Chesapeake
@sail sfbay - thanks for the rapid reply! So this tow tractor thing is new to me. So that would be something I have to ask about at the marina when I am looking for a place?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Yes unless you have a tow vehicle and the marina has a ramp. My marina does not have a ramp but has a sling hoist and a small tractor dry storage sailboaters can use.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If you buy a trailer make sure it's registered or at least was in the last 2 year so it's a renewal instead of new registration.

May 17, 2021
Catalina 18 Chesapeake
@shemandr - thanks. So, I am guessing from your post that it is much more expensive to register new? I bet it is hard to find a used trailer in good shape. Suggestions on that?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It’s not easy to find a good used trailer. Many have boats on them and have sat in some yard without maintenance for years if not decades.
The issue I had with registering a trailer was that the sticker with the reg number had weathered off. Now the number is stamped so that doesn’t happen.
With the number, a policeman has to come and verify the number. Without the number, you basically have to register it as home built. In NY that means taking it to a weigh station. Once you get a reg number, you have to get it inspected. It’s a hassle. Better to buy one that’s registered or has been recently so it’s still in the DMV computer because they delete old unrenewed regs.
It’s not more expensive to register a new trailer. DMV in NY couldn’t care less what it’s worth - in contrast to a boat. It all goes by weight.
For an 18’ boat a new trailer isn’t that much. You know the lights are good, wheel bearings are good, tires are good and the dealer will register it and probably inspect it.
This post assumes that you will take it on the road. That may not be the case for you but many of us would rather remove the boat from a boat yard to save off season storage costs.

May 17, 2021
Catalina 18 Chesapeake
@shemandr - thanks again. Very helpful info. Appreciate not being surprised by some of these things. I expect that I may just have to buy new - I don't want to be traipsing all over to try to find a trailer.

Jun 17, 2020
Venture 222 93333 Grand Isle, VT
This is more or less my setup with my Venture 222. I'm not sure where near the Bay you are, I have previously kept my boat on the trailer at Casa Rio Marina in Mayo: https://www.casariomarina.com/

You can store it on the trailer with your mast up, and just rig your sails when you need to. It's quite reasonably priced and pretty no-frills, which is fine by me. No need to mess with antifouling.

I had gotten a quote on a new boat trailer from Dave's in Glen Burnie, but for some reason decided to buy an old roller trailer and convert it to bunks. It was a huge pain because the VIN sticker was completely faded, and I learned the fun way that roller trailer cross-members pivot (it was a fun white-knuckle 500-mile drive) I eventually got everything worked out. If you need any other info, let me know. Good luck!

May 17, 2021
Catalina 18 Chesapeake
RustyV - this is awesome - thanks! That would be a perfect spot of me - I am in metro DC area. What is their deal for moving the boat from the parking spot down to the water? Do you have to use your own vehicle or do they provide a tow tractor/vehicle? I only have a RAV4, so my towing capacity is limited. But I guess I could go for a larger boat by renting a U-Haul truck to get it to the marina is a smaller vehicle would do to get it from its parking spot down the ramp.

Jun 17, 2020
Venture 222 93333 Grand Isle, VT
I have been keeping my boat in my driveway over the last year and a half, so I don't know if anything's changed, but at the time, I had to dunk it myself. I usually tried to borrow my dad's F150, but it made for complicated sailing logistics to arrange vehicle+crew+weather. I've done it once or twice with my 5-speed Subaru Outback, but my clutch did not like that at all-launching is a piece of cake, recovery really sucks. I would absolutely pay them on a per-launch basis if they could launch it for me.

Where are you in the metro DC area? I'm currently in Rockville.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You guys might want to see how these sailors do it:
The Albacore is a nice little boat. The fleet was here at USS Martin County last Winter while I was serving on RC. But if you contact them be prepared for a sales pitch for the Albacore. I think the president is Barny Harris if I remember correctly.

May 17, 2021
Catalina 18 Chesapeake
If anyone is from the area, what do you think about a wing keel in the Chesapeake? I was looking for a fin keel Catalina (Capri) 18 because people say fins are much easier to get off of a soft grounding than a wing. (Assuming that a hard grounding is equally bad for both!) So I am looking for a fin keel, but the fin keel Catalina 18's seem to be few and far between. The last three good looking boats I have found are all wing keels. Some say the wing acts like a spade anchor in soft groundings and can be very difficult to back out. A contrary view is that you just alternate strong reverse pulses with the motor hard to port, then stern, etc. and it can be, if you will, walked back.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The Catalina 18 is a wing keel. Precision trailers use to have the specs but went out of business. One owner was retiring moving to the mountains. The other owner well let Precision go bust. The other owner restarted building boat trailers under the name of Road King. They are in several places but contact Road King in Asheville NC and ask for Phyllis I think that is her name. She had the specs for your boat. You can purchase thru a local dealer. One suggestion is to get a long extension which to launch that boat with. Former Catalina dealer