New to Beneteau - Looking for the 210 trailerable 21'

Jul 10, 2017
Beneteau 210 Rochester Harbor NY
Hello:

I am a long time boater, owning a 1960 BellBoy 404 Express 19' cruiser. I am looking into adding a sailboat and because I live near so many lakes besides Ontario, I want to be able to trailer the sailboat from lake to lake. I am very interested in the Beneteau First 210. This would be ideal, I think for beginning sailing, being able to sail alone and having the ability to overnight in it.
I would love some feedback on this boat, where anyone knows of one for sale and if this would be a quality starter boat for me. I have sailed Hobby 16s and understand the rudimentary sailing skills. I will take a professional sailing course at the Rochester Yacht Club so that I am much more formally versed.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Bob

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Baby sister to my First 260, the First 210 is easily the best small boat that Beneteau ever sold in the USA. Faster than the First 235 , it will crush any other 20-23 footer around. Simply run circles around any oday, Catalina or hunter of the same length. And with it's non-overlapping headsail configuration, very easy to sail.

The boats a pretty bulletproof. The only big ticket wear item is the retractable keel screw. The new design is much better, expect to spend $1000 at some point to replace the old one. But it's well worth it and will last the rest of the boats life.

I know tons about the boat, p.m. me if you have any questions, or see one you want. I know many of the current owners as well.

Good luck!

PS - from a learning perspective, it's interesting to note that the ASA currently uses a version of this boat as the official training boat for the association.

http://www.beneteau.com/us/first/first-22

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017
Thanks very much. I think for a trailerable first sailboat, this fits the bill perfectly! One question: can anyone there post detailed below decks photos? Is there a galley for cooking?

B

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Galley? Bless your heart. It is a 21ft boat. You get a stove, a sink and a glorified cedar bucket. Deal.

Jul 10, 2017
Ha, ha. Well I'm a beginner at this. I only asked about the boats blue water abilities with regard to safety. Lake Ontario certainly qualifies as offshore sailing. Can anybody tell me what the largest Beneteau trailerable sailboat there is?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Can anybody tell me what the largest Beneteau trailerable sailboat there is?
My Beneteau was trailered from Lake Erie. How big is your tow vehicle?
Frankly that First21 has a ton of room for the size. Small is better in many ways.

Nov 8, 2010
Ha, ha. Well I'm a beginner at this. I only asked about the boats blue water abilities with regard to safety. Lake Ontario certainly qualifies as offshore sailing. Can anybody tell me what the largest Beneteau trailerable sailboat there is?
The biggest commonly available trailerable Beni is the First 235, which is really less than 22 feet long. But well designed and huge inside for is size.

The First 260 (24.5 ft) with its lifting keel is at the upper edge of being called trailerable. We launch and haul once a year and I'd really have to be convinced to do it more than that. But it is so much larger. Sadly only one if the USA, unless you go for a brand new one, called the First 25s

Jul 10, 2017
Thanks very much for your advice, all. I have been in contact with the owner of the Beneteau 235 in Tampa that is being advertised on Sailboat listings. I was wondering how one goes about getting a survey as a condition of sale. What does a survey generally cost? On the 235, is there an issue that has been problematic on that boat? It comes with a trailer with an extendable trailer tongue which, the owner states, allows it to launched from a normal ramp. I am interested in this boat as there doesn't seem to be a 210 for sale at the moment.

Best,

Bob

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
http://www.marinesurvey.org/us-regions/florida.html. SAMS Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors

http://www.namsglobal.org/apps/members/ NAMS. National Assoc. of Marine Surveyors

Once you round up a list of candidates post on Ask All Sailors and query the forum, someone can give you experiences and bona fides.

RE: Problems and Issues with this model - that is your job, you need to search and investigate to determine where the problem areas and weakness are and then task your surveyor with inspecting them. You should know more about this boat model than she/he does.

Nov 19, 2016
Sabre Mark III Raritan Bay, NJ
Question for small bene owners who have twin rudders with shock cords at top of each rudder. Are you experiencing frequent degrading of those shock cords? Mainly the problem is the outside cover. I will switch to solid core shock cords vs. multi strand sc hoping that this may alleviate.

Nov 8, 2010
Question for small bene owners who have twin rudders with shock cords at top of each rudder. Are you experiencing frequent degrading of those shock cords? Mainly the problem is the outside cover. I will switch to solid core shock cords vs. multi strand sc hoping that this may alleviate.
Yes. I consider it a wear item, and replace them every two years.

Oct 15, 2018
Beneteau First 20 Pymatuning
Question: I have a First 20, does anyone know what the tension settings should be for the shrouds and forestay? Also I've been looking for a larger furlable genoa for JAM racing in lighter winds - can anyone recommend a solution? Thanks!

Nov 8, 2010
Question: I have a First 20, does anyone know what the tension settings should be for the shrouds and forestay? Also I've been looking for a larger furlable genoa for JAM racing in lighter winds - can anyone recommend a solution? Thanks!
Loose. A boat with a non-overlapping headsail like yours should adjust its headstay based on prevailing winds like we do. We adjust ours every day based on forecast. . In light airs you should be lower than 15% MBS and you should be able to shake your head stay in a circle about a foot in diameter. When breezy probably 24% MBS. You don’t need a larger headsail. You need to adjust your rigging on conditions, and loosen your rigging so your jib can work effectively in light airs. It’s a decent boat in those conditions.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018
Beneteau First 20 Pymatuning
Loose. A boat with a non-overlapping headsail like yours should adjust its headstay based on prevailing winds like we do. We adjust ours every day based on forecast. . In light airs you should be lower than 15% MBS and you should be able to shake your head stay in a circle about a foot in diameter. When breezy probably 24% MBS. You don’t need a larger headsail. You need to adjust your rigging on conditions, and loosen your rigging so your jib can work effectively in light airs. It’s a decent boat in those conditions.
Thanks - I found some general articles for any boat that go into more detail of what you recommend - much appreciated!

Apr 15, 2018
catalina 34 Bluewater Bay Marina Niceville
I am a current owner of a Beneteau 210 Classic model which has a 2'11" bulb keel. I have owned and raced it for years if anyone has any questions. In fact I may be selling mine to move up to something longer.

Mik

Jan 22, 2008
Santana 20 Chandler, AZ AZ
Hi Jay.. PM or email me at azexploder at hotmail dot com